In this blog we will discuss the world’s biggest betta fish in detail.We will discuss their tank size,water parameters,feeding habitat, breeding, diets and other parameters too.
In this blog
- Which is the world’s biggest betta fish?
- Key specifications of giant betta fish or worlds biggest betta fish
- Habitat of giant betta fish/World’s biggest betta fish
- Lifespan of giant betta fish or worlds biggest betta fish
- Physical appearance of giant betta fish or worlds biggest betta fish
- Tank size for giant betta fish or worlds biggest betta fish
- Water parameters of giant betta fish or worlds biggest betta fish
- Substrate for giant betta fish or worlds biggest betta fish
- Light intensity for giant betta fish or worlds biggest betta fish
- Tank plants for giant betta fish or worlds biggest betta fish
- Tank mates for giant betta fish or worlds biggest betta fish
- Diet of giant and worlds biggest betta fish
- Disease and healthcare of giant or worlds biggest betta fish
- Breeding giant betta fish or worlds biggest betta fish
- Frequently asked questions
Which is the world’s biggest betta fish?
The giant betta is one of several species of betta fish. It is the largest species of betta fish and is the result of selective breeding. Giant betta is a wonderful fish with impressive colors.
Giant bettas are a variety of selectively bred plakat that reach a length of 3 to 7 inches.
Key specifications of giant betta fish or worlds biggest betta fish
|Name Scientific name Family||Giant betta fishBetta anabantoidsOsphronemidae/gouramis|
|Diet||Carnivore in wildOmnivores in captive settings|
|Body size||3-7 inches in length|
|Minimum tank sizeTank level||10 gallons tank Upper and middle regions|
|Temperament||Less aggressive than other bettas|
Habitat of giant betta fish/worlds biggest betta fish
- Natural habitat of giant betta fish/World’s biggest betta fish- Southeast Asia
- Giant bettas are endemic to South Kalimantan, Katingan and Sampit on the island of Borneo, Indonesia.
- The giant betta thrives in clear water, slightly brown in color due to the influence of humus, and mainly stays on the shore in the slow-flow section.
- Captive bred giant betta fish- Selective breeding process
Lifespan of giant betta fish or worlds biggest betta fish
Giant bettas can live up to 3 years like other bettas in a well maintained tank. The life span of giant bettas too depends on:
- Good genetics
- Perfect tank size and shape
- Proteinaceous and balanced diets
- Suitable tank companions
- Pristine water conditions
- Proper tank maintenance
Physical appearance of giant betta fish or worlds biggest betta fish
- Giant bettas are much larger than other types of bettas.
- Giant betta is often selectively bred by selecting and breeding the largest male and female betta splendens available.
- The average adult male giant betta usually measures 3.5-4 inches in length, while the female giant betta is usually slightly smaller.
- Giant bettas come in four different colors- blue, red, green and marble.
- Giant male bettas tend to be brighter in coloration, while females are slightly duller.
- Male giant bettas have wider heads and longer pelvic fins than females.
Tank size for giant betta fish or worlds biggest betta fish
The giant betta is twice the size of a normal betta. Due to their different sizes, giant bettas require more space. It is recommended to keep them in a tank of at least 10 gallons.
If you want to add more fish to a giant tank, you will need a slightly larger tank.
Water parameters of giant betta fish or worlds biggest betta fish
Giant bettas have their own preferences and requirements. They thrive in brackish and slightly acidic water with a pH in the 6.8 to 7.5 range at low flow rates.You can purchase pH kits to maintain a healthy water range.
Giant bettas need warm water to survive. Make sure the aquarium water temperature doesn’t drop below 76 degrees or go above 85 degrees.Maintain the temperature between 76-85 degrees Fahrenheit.
A thermometer and heater is necessary to maintain the required temperature in a giant bettas tank.
Giant Betta is a weak swimmer like Siamese fighting fish. They require calm water with minimal flow. Filtration should be sufficient to maintain high water quality without generating too much current.
Substrate for giant betta fish or worlds biggest betta fish
The substrate you choose for your giant fighting fish doesn’t really matter. This should allow the plants to form a root system, but giant bettas rarely dig into the substrate.
If at all you are planning to add a substrate,then make sure the bottom layer should consist of fine-grained dark gravel.
Light intensity for giant betta fish or worlds biggest betta fish
- Giant bettas require natural or artificial light during the day and darkness at night to sleep.
- Avoid direct sunlight entering the tank as this can increase the water temperature and algal growth too.
- You can use artificial lighting to provide great lighting day and night.
Tank plants for giant betta fish or worlds biggest betta fish
Plants create a visual barrier and break the line of sight of fish in the aquarium.Therefore, other fish can live safely.Replicate the same environment as their natural habitat.This will keep them happy and healthy.
The giant fighting fish will appreciate a well-planted aquarium, especially if the plants have large broad leaves. Choose plants that can grow in the mild, acidic environment that the giant betta prefers.
- Java moss
- Dwarf hairgrass
- Water wisteria
Tank mates of giant betta fish or worlds biggest betta fish
Male and female giant bettas can be kept together in the same tank, but they should be carefully observed for compatibility issues.
Some suggested giant betta tank companions are cory catfish, ghost shrimp, guppies,kuhli loach,rummy nose tetra,cardinal tetra,goldstrip corydora.
Don’t put two giant male bettas in the same aquarium or they will kill each other. In addition, males should not be kept with females except for breeding purposes.
Diet of giant or worlds biggest betta fish
Giant bettas are carnivorous and like to eat meat like bloodworms, shrimp, and mosquito larvae.
It is recommended to feed giant betta fish four pellets once or twice a day. The pellets expand when they hit the water and are very satisfying for a fighting fish. Freeze-dried or fresh foods can be replaced by feeding pellets 1-2 days per week.
Giant bettas should be fed once a day, only what they can eat in 1-2 minutes. Leftovers should be removed from the tank so that it does not adversely affect the water quality.
Giant Bettas should have access to high-quality floating pellet food or a specific carnivore food as the basis of their diet.
Disease and healthcare of giant or worlds biggest betta fish
The most common health problem found in giant betta fish is a disease associated with poor water quality.
This can include parasites such as ichthyophthiriasis, or bacterial or fungal infections such as fin rot.
Maintain the water quality in the betta aquarium to prevent these problems.
Another common health problem with giant betta fish is digestive system related problems.They are prone to constipation & digestive problems, & some even die from these problems.
It is important to ensure that your giant betta receives a high quality diet, as it helps to maintain the health of the giant bettas digestive system.
Breeding giant betta fish or worlds biggest betta fish
As oral breeders, male giant betta fish (Betta anabatoides) do not make foam nests, but take eggs from females one by one in order to hold them in their mouths for nearly two weeks until they are released into the open in water as fully developed small animals.
A male giant betta may carry multiple female spawns at the same time, i.e they gradually collect up to 200 eggs in their mouths over 6 hours or more.
- Giant bettas are found in a variety of freshwater habitats, it is a paternal mouthbrooder.
- Giant betta (Betta anabatoides) is a type of freshwater ray-finned fish of the subfamily Macropodusinae, which is part of the family Gourami.
- The giant fighting fish tend to be less aggressive than the standard siamese fighting fish.
- Giant betta fish seem to enjoy living in pairs of the opposite sex. Unlike betta fish, giant betta males are often gentle and calm enough to keep themselves safe with the female without risking her safety.
- One of the most important things you do regularly is to clean the tank to keep giant bettas healthy.Keeping them in spacious tanks increases their life span significantly.
- Giant bettas do not form their own areas and do not create bubble nests.
- Giant bettas are easy to care for and they need good quality water just like most other fish.
Frequently asked questions
Are king bettas similar in length to giant bettas?
King betta grows only about 3 inches long and is slightly larger than regular betta fish. Like giant betta, kings are also a type of hybrid plakat betta.
Can we breed normal betta with giant bettas?
Yes, we can breed normal betta with giant bettas and the first generation will be larger in size like giant bettas only.
Do giant bettas change colors?
When a giant fish is stressed, it often produces three dark vertical stripes. When panicking, these vertical stripes blend into the individual spots.
How do giant betta behave when they feel safe?
When the giant bettas feel safe, its body turns dark brown with iridescent dots on the scales.