In this article we will discuss the most rare betta fish.We will discuss everything about them from their habitat information, tank size,water parameters,feeding habitat,breeding,diets and other parameters too.
In this blog
- What is the most rare kind of betta fish?
- Key specifications of most rare fantail betta fish
- Most rare fantail betta fish habitat information
- General characteristics of most rare fantail betta fish
- Tank size of most rare fantail betta fish
- Water parameters of most rare fantail betta fish
- Tank mates of most rare fantail betta fish
- Tank plants for most rare fantail betta fish
- Substrate for most rare fantail betta fish
- Feeding habits of most rare fantail betta fish
- Behavior of most rare fantail betta fish
- Breeding of most rare fantail betta fish
- Frequently asked questions
What is the most rare kind of betta fish?
The rarest type of betta fish is the fantail variety. This fish has two tail or caudal fins that are side by side but fused at a small point at the top, and look similar to a fantail goldfish.
This betta variety is so uncommon that you can’t really find any information about them or where to buy them.
Key specifications of most rare fantail betta
|Scientific nameCommon name||Betta splendens Fantail betta fish (most rare)|
|Other names||Siamese fighting fish|
|Habitat||Freshwater of Southeast Asia|
|Diet||Carnivore/omnivore in captivity|
|Temperament||Aggressive like their cousins|
|Life span||3-5 years|
|Conservation status||Vulnerable (wild)Captivity (data deficient)|
Most rare fantail betta fish habitat information
Natural habitat of wild betta:
Bettas prefer to live in ponds with dense vegetation or in ponds with little or no flow.
Also, they often live in waters with very low oxygen levels. You can find them in rice fields, small streams, lakes, ponds of southeast asia.
Captive bred betta:
Fantail bettas are captive bred like other varieties of bettas and not much information is available about them.
It is very important to buy them for breeders who are aware of their genetics and healthy lines.
Because wild bettas already have a shorter lifespan and when you are not getting the betta variety with the right genetics,they will die off early as they wont be able to adjust in the new conditions.
General characteristics of most rare fantail betta fish
- Fantail betta fish usually grow to 3 inches or less.Fry fish take approximately four months from hatching to full maturity.
- They are considered fully developed at about seven months of age, but can grow larger depending on the environment and the amount of care they get from their owners.
- The average lifespan of a fantail betta fish is 2-4 years.The lifespan of betta fish is directly related to the environment in which they are raised.
- You can help them live longer by maintaining a clean tank and watching their diet. Fantail betta fish raised in bowls usually live less than a year.
- If you buy a fantail betta at a pet store, it’s usually 6 months to 1 year old.
- Male fantail bettas are more colorful, vibrant and larger than female bettas.So,sexual dimorphosm is prominent in fantail bettas too.
Tank size of most rare fantail betta fish
- The ideal tank size for a fantail betta fish is 5 gallons or larger for a male or female betta fish.
- To keep a healthy and happy fantail betta, you need at least a 3 gallon tank.
- Even 5 gallons or even 10 gallons are even better.Bigger and spacious tanks are always better to accommodate any betta variant.
- Never keep fantail betta or any betta fish for that matter in small cups, like how they store in small cups in pet shops.Don’t make this mistake.It will hinder their growth and development and even make them aggressive and sick.
- Provide lots of hiding spots and swimming areas in their tanks and the most important thing is to cover their tanks with a screen top or hood,as they are famous for leaping out of their tank when they feel threatened or overwhelmed.
Water parameters of most rare fantail betta fish
Best water parameters for most rare fantail bettas:
- Water temperature: 65°F to 80°F (around 73 to 74 degrees is ideal)People don’t usually consider heaters when they keep bettas in bowls or small tanks, but bettas are tropical fish that live in warmer waters in the wild.So they need to install heaters in the tank to maintain the ideal temperature.
- Water pH levels: 6.0 to 8.0 (aim for neutral)
- Degree of water hardness: 4 to 20 dKH.
- In order to ensure fresh water for the fantail betta fish,it is necessary to change the water frequently, at least once a week.
- Fantail betta fish like their cousins do not require bubblers or air pumps.
- They have a special labyrinth organ that allows them to breathe surface air, and if you have a good filter in their tanks,the water should be sufficiently oxygenated anyway.
- Aquarium filters are very beneficial for fantail bettas as they create a cleaner environment for good bacterias to colonize.
- The best filters in their aquarium are the Mignon Filter 60 and the Aquaclear Cycleguard as these are reliable and adjustable filters that are ideal for fantail bettas aquariums.
Tank mates of most rare fantail betta fish
Some best tank mates are:
- Cory catfish or Corydoras catfish
- Neon tetra/Paracheirodon innesi
- Ember tetras or Hyphessobrycon amandae
- Ghost shrimp or glass shrimp
- African dwarf frogs.
- Guppies (livebearer)
- Kuhli loaches or Coolie Loach or Leopard Loach
Tank plants for most rare fantail betta fish
Aquatic plants not only help purify the water from fish waste, but also provide a beautiful natural environment for betta fish. In the wild, the gorgeous betta species is most commonly found in tropical swamps and paddy fields filled with dense vegetation.
Therefore, aquarium plants serve as an excellent enrichment for your betta to explore, and places to rest so it can sleep at night.Anubias nana is at the top of the list for several reasons.
First of all, Anubias nana has wide and broader leaves and is ideal for any bettas aquarium, as they like to perch on the leaves of plants to save energy and sleep.
The plants are perfect for bettas bowls and aquariums.Because bettas like to snuggle up between the leaves and rest.Betta needs meaty foods and is not a plant eater in nature.
If you have no other food,bettas bite the plant,but plants are not the ideal food for them.
Substrate for most rare fantail betta fish
Sand retains bettas waste on the surface and is part of the best base for cleaning. If you want to avoid maintenance, gravel is the best option for bettas tanks.
Sand is the next best choice, but it can be compact and needs to be scrapped for a healthy aquarium.Sand is pH neutral so it won’t affect the chemistry of the water in fantail bettas aquarium.
The artificial coloured substrate can make your fantails sick.The dark color of the substrate perfectly emphasizes the bright colors of your fighting fish.
Feeding habits of most rare fantail betta fish
Betta fish are natural carnivores, and in the wild we can see that they feed on insects and larvae of insects.
The best adult fantail betta fish diet would include a variety of freeze-dried foods, live food like mosquito larvae, artemia, mosquito larvae, and high crude protein fish flakes and/or pellets.
Egg yolk is one of the healthiest foods you can give to help your baby’s fish grow.If you expect fantail betta eggs to hatch soon, consider feeding them yolks for the first few days of life.
There are certain flakes specially made for fantail betta fish.Do not feed them tropical fish flakes as they lack the protein requirements that are required to maintain their health.
- It is recommended to feed solid fish 1-2 times a day with 2-4 pellets.
- Freeze-dried or fresh food can be used instead of feeding 1-2 days a week.
- Juveniles need to be fed 3 times,while adults need to be fed only 2 times without overfeeding.
Behavior of most rare fantail betta fish
Generally speaking, betta aquarium residents will be friendly, and in some cases, fantail bettas like their cousins will even enjoy being petted,or fished out of the aquarium.
Despite their aggressiveness, bettas are very social and can become depressed or even starve when neglected.
The most common signs of aggressive fantail betta behavior like their cousins are gill flaring, ramming, or fin nibbling.
If you don’t see your fish actively fighting, you may see other signs including missing scales, torn fins, or increased stealth.
Breeding of most rare fantail betta fish
When fan-tailed bettas breed, males build a bubble nest on the surface and attract females to it.
Once a pair is formed, they engage in an elaborate courtship/mating ritual.When the female starts laying eggs, the male retrieves them and lays them in the nest.
- Most rare betta fish is fantail betta fish,because their tail looks like a fan and it is quite unique compared to other bettas.
- Genetics play an important role in creating new betta variety.
- There are thousands of varieties of bettas bred in captivity so far and the most rare and unique among them is fantail bettas.
- Get your fantail bettas from breeders,who have excellent knowledge about bettas genetics.
- Don’t keep your fantail bettas in small cups, it will hinder their normal growth and shorten their lifespans too.
- Avoid overfeeding your fantail bettas too,as it can deteriorate their health and water chemistry.
- Moderate feeding is best but overfeeding is not good for them and tank conditions.
- Remove leftovers everyday using a gravel siphon to keep the tank environment clean and healthy.
- Not much is known about this rare fantail bettas, but i tried to cover as much as possible.Hope this helps.
Frequently asked questions
Can older fantail bettas breed?
The peak breeding period for fantail betta fish, like their cousins, is between 4 and 12 months. Older fish will still be able to reproduce, but younger fish will be more successful.
Can you overfeed your fantail betta fish?
Overfeeding can lead to bloating, digestive distress, and obesity.Too much leftover food can pollute the water of the fish and make it unhealthy.To avoid overfeeding, give them only the recommended daily dose.
Can we keep two fantail male bettas together?
Never keep two male fantail betta fish in the same aquarium.They quickly become aggressive and fight to death.They may keep peace for a while, but sooner or later they will fight until only one remains.
Do female fantail bettas build bubble nests?
Female fantail bettas build bubble nests, this is very rare. Bubble nest building is a natural reproductive behavior for all fighting fish, but nests are almost always built by male bettas only to attract female bettas for spawning.