In this article we will discuss rare color betta fish.We will discuss everything about them from their habitat information, tank size,water parameters, feeding habitat, breeding, diets and other parameters too.
In this blog
- What is a rare color betta fish?
- Key specifications of rare color betta fish
- General characteristics of rare color betta fish
- Tank size of rare color betta fish
- Water parameters of rare color betta fish
- Tank mates of rare color betta fish
- Tank plants for rare color betta fish
- Substrate for rare color betta fish
- Feeding habits of rare color betta fish
- Behavior of rare color betta fish
- Breeding of rare color betta fish
- Frequently asked questions
What is a rare color betta fish?
Elegant bettas come from Southeast Asia and mostly inhabit shallow waters, where the water flow is slow and steady. But albino bettas are a rare breed, because it is not yet known which betta strains have been mixed to get this albino betta strain. They are very rare and hard to find in natural habitats.
Key specifications of rare color betta fish
|Scientific nameRare color betta fish||Betta splendens Albino betta fish|
|Other names||Siamese fighting fish|
|Habitat||Freshwater of Southeast Asia|
|Diet||Carnivore/omnivore in captivity|
|Temperament||Aggressive like their cousins|
|Life span||3-5 years|
|Conservation status||Vulnerable (wild)Captivity (data deficient)|
General characteristics of rare color betta fish
- The rarest betta color in the world is the albino betta fish.
- Albinism is a genetic disorder caused by an autosomal recessive gene that affects normal pigmentation in animals.
- Cases of albinism are extremely rare in fish, with only 14 documented of the more than 6,000 species described.
- Albino beta is a big mystery.Betta albinism is a recessive trait and they cannot survive once they reach adulthood.
- They have impaired vision and sense of organ which makes it difficult for them to locate their food.
- They will have difficulties, they are not blind, but have poor vision.and due to this you might see them swimming in a different manner.
- Albino betta fish like other betta fish live on average from 2 to 4 years.The longevity of the albino betta is directly related to the environment in which you keep it,and the type of food you feed it and its companions as well.
- Both male and female albino bettas have the same color so it is almost difficult to differentiate sexes in this particular strain.But they can be differentiated on the basis of their size & reproductive structures.
- Male albino bettas are bigger and female albino bettas have an ovipositor tube to carry eggs.
Tank size of rare color betta fish
Minimum 3 gallons is required to house them like other bettas.Male bettas prefer to live in solitary tanks, and it’s better to keep them separately without tank mates because they are very aggressive,so male bettas can live in nano tanks too.
Make sure you are not putting albino bettas in anything below 3 gallons,as this will suffocate them, hinder their natural growth.
Female albino bettas if kept in soritties then add them in 10 gallons tank and if you are planning to add male and female bettas together in a 5 gallon or 10 gallons tank then kindly use a divider to separate them,as male albino bettas chase and harass female bettas for mating and spawning purpose.
Provide lots of hiding spots and it is very important to give proper spaces to each and every bettas if they are kept in a community tank,because bettas are very particular about their space and won’t entertain anyone coming and exploring their space.
A good swimming space is always required for them to explore and display their beautiful fins.Always cover their tank with a tank hood or lid, because they sometimes jump out of their tanks when they feel stressed or harassed.
So, make sure the tank size is ideal for them, neither too big, nor too small.But make sure sufficient space is there for them to live stress free in their tanks.
Water parameters of rare color betta fish
Water parameters and chemistry are all the same for all betta species.It is very important to maintain pristine water conditions to keep bettas happy and healthy.
- GH: 3-4 dGH (50-66.7 ppm)
- KH: 3-5 dKH (53.6- 89.4 ppm)
- pH: 6.5-7.5
- Temperature: 75°-81°F (23.8°-27.2°C)
- Ammonia and Nitrite: 0 ppm.
- Nitrate: <20 ppm.
Tank mates of rare color betta fish
Albino bettas have impaired vision, so make sure not to add aggressive tank mates,very colorful tank mates and fin nippers with them.
Due to their poor visions they won’t be able to fight with above mentioned tank mates and chasing would be difficult too.It is important to add peaceful and bottom dwellers in their tanks,who mind their own business and don’t entertain companions which occupy the same levels in their tanks.
Pygmy corygmy, female guppy, ember tetra, harlequin rasbora, usually not bright colors. All of these fish are calm and, more importantly, not fin nippers. Snails are another good option. Both Nerite snails and Mystery snails go well with albino bettas.
Tank plants for rare color betta fish
Since albino bettas have poor vision, don’t add plants with sharp edges,as this might hurt them and can cause infections too.Popular species include the amazonian frog, red-root floaters, and even floating stem plants.
With fluffy roots and dense foliage, your albino betta feels secure enough to build his bubble nest or take a short nap surrounded by plants.
Substrate for rare color betta fish
Albino bettas, will do just fine in a bare-bottom tank.Gravel is the best option for betta tanks if you want to avoid maintenance.Waste is unable to penetrate the substrate too easily or deeply, making gravel quite suitable for bettas.
Make sure you are not putting a sharp substrate in their tanks, because they are blind and might get injured with sharp substrate.
Feeding habits of rare color betta fish
Live food for albino bettas:
Live food is usually composed of aquatic insects such as bloodworms, brine shrimp and daphnia pulex. Live food is one of the best options for betta, as it is similar to what it eats in the wild.
Frozen food for albino bettas:
Most frozen live food is provided in the form of a cube.The size of the cube varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, but stick to the rule of thumb of giving a solid 1.8 grams of frozen food.
- Mosquito Larvae.
- Mysis shrimp.
- Brine shrimp.
- Tubifex Worms.
Betta flakes for albino bettas
Flake is the most popular solid fish feed-it provides enough nutrients and is suitable for a albino bettas diet, but should be given less frequently than other types of foods.
The flakes must be specifically made for betta fish.They only require one to two pellets or flakes per meal, twice a day.
Behavior of rare color betta fish
Happy albino bettas
- Powerful, vibrant colors.
- Fins are open but not taut, allowing their fins to swell and fold in the water.
- They accept food wholeheartedly.
- Active and smooth swimming movements and enjoy their time in exploring the tank.
Stress albino bettas
- Faded, subdued color.
- Clamped fins-Fins are kept close to the body.
- Stress Stripes-More prominent in female betta.The degree is low for male albino betta
- They lose their appetite or ignore the feed completely
- Always hide in their spots.
- Can be seen darting.
Breeding of rare color betta fish
Albino betta fish are very rare.They have appeared several times throughout history, but they are quite rare and no one has yet figured out how to create an albino strain.
Obviously, they are either fragile or infertile, or both.It is only known to betta breeders how to make this strain.The breeding procedure will be almost same like other betta fish.
The healthy pair is selected for maintenance in a breeding tank with suitable water conditions and proper food.
Male and female get along with each other after being in the tank for some time and then the albino male betta starts building a bubble nest for the female albino betta loaded with eggs in her tube to deposit them on those foam nests.
After all this is done, the male takes proper care of those eggs by oxygenating them and protecting them from predators and finally after 3-4 days the baby bettas come out of those eggs and start swimming freely.
This is a similar breeding process in all betta variants but it is not known which two strains are mixed to make albino bettas.
- The rarest betta color in the world is the albino betta fish.When a betta albino is reported or offered for sale, smart watchers always correctly recognize it as a transparent, cellophane or white betta.
- These are all beautiful fish to display in an aquarium and are not very common.But they have nothing on a true albino.
- Albino bettas have impaired or poor vision, so it is important to add substrates which are not sharp, as it can hurt and damage their fins and other body parts too.
- Don’t add aggressive and finnipers in albino bettas tanks, as they can also hurt them.
- Follow tank maintenance to avoid ammonia pollution,else they will suffocate and die due to ammonia spikes.
- Provide lots of hiding spots and spacious tanks to explore and rest.
- Don’t overcrowd their tanks.
- Quarantine new tank mates before adding to albinos tank.
- Always feed proteinous food and make sure to give them a balanced diet of vitamins and minerals too.
- Wash the tank filters and substrate to avoid the growth of unwanted bacteria in their tanks.
- Don’t keep them in bright lights,as it can stress them.
- They are very rare and you need to contact various betta clubs or betta breeders if you want one of those with good genetics and healthy lines.
Frequently asked questions
Is it easy to care for albino bettas?
Caring for bettas is neither easy, nor difficult.But in case of albino bettas, their owners should give utmost care as they have poor eyesight and are weak swimmers.