In this article we will discuss beautiful blue betta fish.We will discuss everything about them from their habitat information, tank size,water parameters,feeding habitat,breeding,diets and other parameters too.
In this blog
- Key specifications of beautiful blue betta fish
- Beautiful blue betta fish habitat information
- General characteristics of beautiful blue betta fish
- Tank size of beautiful blue betta fish
- Water parameters of beautiful blue betta fish
- Tank mates of beautiful blue betta fish
- Tank plants for beautiful blue betta fish
- Substrate for beautiful blue betta fish
- Feeding habits of beautiful blue betta fish
- Behavior of beautiful blue betta fish
- Breeding of beautiful blue betta fish
- Frequently asked questions
What are the key specifications of beautiful blue betta fish?
Key specifications of beautiful blue betta fish
|Scientific nameVariant||Betta splendensBeautiful blue betta fish|
|Other names||Siamese fighting fish|
|Habitat||Freshwater of Southeast Asia|
|Temperament||Aggressive like their cousins|
|Life span||3-5 years|
|Conservation status||Vulnerable (wild)Captivity (data deficient)|
Beautiful blue betta fish habitat information
Very little is known about wild blue betta fish.Blue bettas are captive raised for their beautiful colors but their natural habitat is freshwater of south asia and are distributed to Northern Malay Peninsula, central & eastern Thailand, Kampuchea,and southern Vietnam.
They are mostly found in slow moving water bodies and live in areas with dense vegetation.They are also known as mustard betta fish.
General characteristics of beautiful blue betta fish
- As many as 26,000 genetic combinations create the countless colors and patterns you’ll find in captive bettas. Iridescent blue is the densest on the top layer.
- Solid colored betta fish come in different variations in colors including blue colours.These bettas only have one color from mouth to tail.
- The main purpose for breeding color variants of bettas is their bright colors and aggressive behavior.
- The bright colors of blue male betta usually indicate that the fish is healthy and strong against blue female betta.
- Blue male bettas are more colorful and vibrant than blue female bettas.
- Blue male bettas are bigger than blue female bettas.
- Blue bettas like their wild cousins don’t live very long due to poor genetics.They can live upto 3-4 years in well maintained tanks.
- Blue female bettas might die earlier than blue male bettas due to the continuous breeding process.This might reduce their lifespan.
- Make sure you are getting your bettas from right breeders who are aware of their genetics (healthy lines) and breeding.
- Labyrinth fish have the unique ability to breathe oxygen directly from the air, as well as absorb oxygen through their gills.
- As a result, bettas and other color variants of bettas can survive for short periods of time out of water and, if necessary,can breathe the air around them ,provided it remains moist.
- There are two main blues that you may see in a betta: the steel blue and the royal blue.
- The steel blue betta is a light blue with a gray appearance and the royal blue betta is the darkest blues and can sometimes be confused with purple.
Tank size of beautiful blue betta fish
- Minimum aquarium size for a single blue betta fish is three gallons.
- The additional aquarium size for each fully grown blue betta bettas is one gallons.
- The ideal aquarium size for single male or female blue betta is five gallons.
- Blue betta fish like their cousins do pretty well in bigger and spacious aquariums.Bigger is always better.
- Provide hood or tank covers, as they have the tendency to leap out of their tanks when they feel stressed out and threatened.
- Provide lots of hiding spots or covers for hiding to feel safe and secure.
- Provide good swimming space to swim and don’t keep them in compact tanks,as it will hinder their natural growth.
Water parameters of beautiful blue betta fish
Best water parameters for blue bettas:
- All bettas prefer calm water in their aquariums.
- pH- 6.8-7 (almost neutral)
- Temp-75F-80F (moderate temperature)
- Ammonia and nitrite-very very low (toxic for bettas)
- Ammonia and Nitrite: 0 ppm.
- Nitrate: <20 ppm.
- GH: 3-4 dGH (50-66.7 ppm)
- KH: 3-5 dKH (53.6- 89.4 ppm)
Water changes in blue bettas tank:
- A 10-20% small water change once every 7-10 days with a filter is ideal for blue bettas health too.
- You can also change the water 20-30% every 2-3 weeks, but smaller changes are better for stable water quality.
Tank mates of beautiful blue betta fish
Some blue bettas fish are so territorial that they can never coexist with other aquarium inhabitants.On the other hand, some are so calm that they can absorb stress given by other fish.
Each betta fish has a unique personality and temperament.Male bettas should never be kept with tank mates due to their aggressive nature but you can keep female bettas with other female bettas and different compatible species too.
Tank mates to avoid:
- Avoid more colorful and flashy tank mates
- Avoid fin nippers
- Avoid live bearers
- Avoid tank mates who occupy the same tank levels as blue bettas
Tank plants for beautiful blue betta fish
Best floating plants for blue betta:They provide shade from excess light and help with oxygenation.It will also help during the breeding process.
- Amazon frogbit.
- Salvinia minima/Water spangles
- Java moss.
- Water sprite.
Substrate for beautiful blue betta fish
Substrate doesn’t really matter in bettas tanks.Bettas don’t interact with the bottom that much but gravel is generally the most common aquarium substrate and is ideal for all bettas aquariums.
The Spectrastone gravel is a mixture of small river pebbles aimed at giving the tank a natural look and replicates their natural habitat.
Feeding habits of beautiful blue betta fish
To enhance or fortify bettas beautiful blue color feed them natural foods that contain carotenoids.Natural pigments in brine shrimp and other crustaceans can be purchased at fish stores and appear as color-enhancing foods.
Brine shrimp is eaten very enthusiastically by fish.They are a source of easily assimilated proteins, vitamins, chitin,and natural carotenoids.
It is not advised to feed the betta with brine shrimp every day, but it is better to add it as a supplement to the betta’s diet.A protein rich diet is very important for blue bettas too.so try feeding
Best food for beautiful betta fish:
- Protein enriched floating pellets,especially for bettas
- Frozen or dried brine shrimp, color enhancer
- Frozen Bloodworms (small pieces)
- Small insects, contains lots of proteins
- Include vitamins too in their diet
Behavior of beautiful blue betta fish
Blue bettas are bred primarily for combat rather than as ornamental fish.Male blue bettas are particularly aggressive and tend to attack each other when kept in the same aquarium.
If there is no way to escape, this usually results in the death of one or both of the fish.
Blue betta fish also show flare behavior and it does it to protect its territory and during mating from competing male bettas by looking bigger.
Multiple blue female bettas can be kept together, because they are not that aggressive like blue male bettas.
Things to keep in mind:
- Without dividers, males cannot share the same habitat.
- Male and female cannot live together.
- Females can coexist in sororities.
Breeding of beautiful blue betta fish
Breeding a fighting fish is not difficult.But breeding to obtain the desired color is not an easy task.Raising fish of the same color or one color all over the body, such as blue, is not difficult.Just take a father-mother of the same color to mix them together.
The depth of water in a betta breeding tank must be only about five inches, and it must be at the same temperature as the constant betta fish tank,which is 78F and you have to install a small heater too to maintain the ideal water temperature.
When the female is ready to lay her eggs, the male forms a bubble nest on the water’s surface.This is another reason why you should have floating plants in their tanks.
When the female releases the egg, the male carries the egg to the protective cover of the foam nest.Both male and female blue bettas will take care of baby bettas.
Females should be removed as they get aggressive during the spawning process.Once the hatchin is done male will guard their eggs until they swim freely.
- If you are interested in breeding a blue betta fish to achieve such beautiful blue colors, be sure to study their genetics and learn about recessive and dominant colors and patterns.
- Blue bettas like their wild cousins can sustain themselves in stagnant water that lacks oxygen due to their labyrinth organs.
- Provide lots of hiding spots in their tank to feel safe and secure when threatened by other tank mates or due to any other factors.
- Blue bettas should be fed food which enhances their color and maintains it.
- Avoid overfeeding your blue bettas,as it can cause digestive issues and can deteriorate water chemistry too by raising the levels of ammonia in their tank.
- And leftovers should be removed on a daily basis using a gravel siphon to keep the tank environment free from organic pollutants.
- Floating plants are a great way to strengthen the upper layers of their homes, as blue bettas like their cousins like to hang out near the surface of the water.
- Floating plants like the Amazon frogbit are great anchor points for solid fish to build foam nests to their heart’s content.
- The blue betta may not be the most common species in the aquarium trade,but it is an eye-catching fish that will be a welcome addition to a hobbyist’s collection.Care is similar to other betta fish.
Frequently asked questions
What is iridescent betta?
The iridescence makes up the top layer of bettas and is caused by cells called iris cells.These cells form a dense layer of color that covers all other colors.Originally, the normal iridescent color of wild betta splendens was blue or turquoise.
Are blue bettas rare?
Blue bettas are very common.This is not the case for a particular variant called the true blue dragon fighting fish, which is difficult to reproduce perfectly.If you can find a pure or real one, people might not even know their value because they are so rare.