In this blog we will discuss white dragon crown betta fish. We will discuss everything about them in this blog.
In this blog
- White dragon crown betta fish
- Key specifications of white dragon crown betta fish
- General characteristics of white dragon crown betta fish
- Tank size of white dragon crown betta fish
- Water parameters of white dragon crown betta fish
- Tank mates of white dragon crown betta fish
- Tank plants for white dragon crown betta fish
- Substrate for white dragon crown betta fish
- Feeding habits of white dragon crown betta fish
- Behavior of white dragon crown betta fish
- Breeding of white dragon crown betta fish
- Frequently asked questions
What are the characteristics of white dragon crown betta fish?
Another rare species of betta fish,produced by crossing a dragon scale betta fish and a crown betta fish for accentuated scales,metallic coloration,extended length of the fin’s rays and the small amount of webbing.
Originating from shallow paddy fields in Thailand and other parts of Southeast Asia (Malaysia, Vietnam and Indonesia), the white dragon crowntail betta is named for its distinctly spiky tail and caudal fin.
Key specifications of white dragon crown betta fish
|Scientific nameName||Betta splendens White dragon crown betta fish|
|Other names||chinese fighting fish|
|Habitat||Freshwater of Southeast Asia|
|Temperament||Aggressive like their cousins|
|Life span||2-3 years|
|Conservation status||Vulnerable (wild)Captivity (data deficient)|
General characteristics of white dragon crown betta fish
- White dragon crown betta fish is white in color.
- The white dragon crowntail betta fish is one of the most popular freshwater fish for their beautiful caudal fins.
- The white dragon crowntail betta fish are known for their aggressive nature and specific fin characteristics; especially their tail fin.
- White dragon crown betta can grow up to 3 inches, more realistically 2.5 inches long.
- Male white dragon crown bettas are bigger than females.
- Male white dragon crown bettas are more aggressive than females.
- A white dragon crowntail betta has a typical lifespan of 2-3 years.
- Like their cousins, the white dragon’s crown tail naturally has an aggressive nature. Their aggression has been increased by generations of breeding among betta fish breeders.
Tank size of white dragon crown betta fish
- Best tank size for a single crowntail betta fish is a 5-gallon aquarium .
- White dragon crowntail betta fish live in the middle and upper parts of the water column, so a horizontal tank is preferred over a vertical one.
- The community tank must be large enough to establish a territory, including a hiding place for a male white dragon crown tail bettas to escape stress.
- A ten gallons or even bigger one is recommended to house a single male white dragon crown tail betta.
Water parameters of white dragon crown betta fish
- The pH range of 6.4 to 7.0 is ideal for white dragon crown tail betta fish.
- The hardness of water of 2-5 dKh is preferred.
- The temperature range should be in the range of 76-80 degrees Fahrenheit.
Tank mates of white dragon crown betta fish
Never keep more than one male white dragon crowntail in a community tank.
You can house them along with other species with careful selection. However, you must observe the activities in the aquarium and be ready to act.
Avoid tank companions who are aggressive or larger than the white dragon crowntail. Tank companions with large fins can be targeted for bites.
Bottom dwellers are a good choice and tank companions that live in the lower tiers of the aquarium do not swim in the middle or upper tiers, which white dragon crowntail betta fish prefer.
Peaceful species, especially those with smaller fins, can be potential companions.
- Neon tetras
- Ghost or red cherry shrimp
- African dwarf frog
- Guppies ( they are very fast and will get out of the way of the betta.)
Tank plants for white dragon crown betta fish
- Floating plants,rocks, and other decorations help establish areas within the water column that form territorial boundaries.
- Give your white dragon crowntail one or more places to hide when stressed.
- You can choose artificial or live plants if you prefer.
- Floating plants are some of the popular plants for betta fish. They help your white dragon crown tail build a more natural habitat with betta bubble nests.
Some plants for bettas tank:
- Water sprite
- Betta bulb
- Sword plant
Substrate for white dragon crown betta fish
Gravel, fine sand or bare bottom are excellent substrates for white dragon crowned bettas. Bettas do best in sand as this can recreate their traditional habitat.
Gravel is suitable for them as they are accustomed to living in the wild without sharp substrates. If you choose sand, you can easily clean it with a gravel siphon.
Carefully clean the gravel as it contains beneficial bacteria that keep the aquarium water clean and healthy.
They are comfortable even without a substrate in their tank, as they don’t interact with the bottom at all.
If you are adding bottom dwellers then go ahead with substrates, else not required.
Feeding habits of white dragon crown betta fish
- White dragon crowntail betta can be picky eaters and you may need to try several different brands of food before you find one that your fish will eat.
- The white dragon crowntail is carnivorous fish, so it is necessary to provide it with protein. Or, of course, a balanced diet including some plant based diet is recommended.
- Specialty betta food is best for them. You can also include live or frozen foods from reputed sellers.Brine shrimp, bloodworms, and daphnia are all options.
- When feeding pellets, aim for 2-4 pellets at a time. On the other hand, if you are feeding live, frozen or freeze-dried food, 2-3 is the optimal amount.
- The white dragon tail betta has a small stomach, so it needs to eat multiple small meals rather than one large meal.
- It is best to fast your white dragon crown betta once a week to aid digestion.
- Never overfeed.
- Overeating is injurious to their health.
Best food for white dragon crown betta fish:
- Mosquito larvae
- Brine shrimp
- Wingless fruit flies
- Betta specific pellets
Behavior of white dragon crown betta fish
All betta fish are aggressive, and crowntails are no exception. Never keep more than one male betta in the same aquarium. They will fight, usually until one or both are badly wounded or dead.
Several females can live together, and a male can potentially live with females, but you must be on the lookout and be prepared to intervene.
The level of territorial behavior and aggressiveness can vary from fish to fish.They tend to have their own personalities. Some will attack anything that moves, while others can handle some other fish.
Bettas get bored too, so you can add some toys and floating or bettas logs in their tanks for their enrichment.
Breeding of white dragon crown betta fish
- Select a healthy pair of white dragon crown betta fish.
- Place live plants throughout the aquarium, especially floating plants to facilitate the breeding process.
- Make sure the aquarium water temperature is a constant 82 degrees F.
- Introduce healthy mating pairs in the tank and monitor them.
- Once they get adjusted to each other, male will start building bubble or foam nests for the females to attract.
- The nests get bigger and bigger and it should take 3 days for the fish to breed.By then, the female should lay enough eggs in her body
- Females will come and sit on those eggs and will release eggs in the bubble nest.
- The white dragon crown betta will hatch in about three days.
- When they hatch, male bettas watch and stay under the bubble nest, catching any eggs that fall out.
- Once hatched, these babies are called “fry” and are very small.
- White dragon crown betta fish are rare and limited edition betta fish available online.
- A true white dragon crown betta is a rare and coveted prize among crown betta fans.
- Most betta keepers will buy an adult white dragon crown tail.
- However, bettas are aggressive. If you have more than one white dragon crowntail in your aquarium, you will find that the level of care increases.
- The tank companion should be carefully selected and should be continuously monitored to avoid conflicts.
- You may find juvenile white dragon crown tails at your local store or breeder, but chain stores and most online sources sell adult white dragon crown tails that are almost at their maximum length.
- The white betta dragontail is an absolutely stunning freshwater fish that many aquarists love.
Frequently asked questions
How much is a white dragon crown betta fish?
The white dragon crown betta fish can cost between $50 and $75.
Are white dragon crowntail bettas more aggressive than other bettas?
Each betta fish is different, and one white dragon crowntail may be more or less aggressive than another.
Can you keep two male white dragon crown tail bettas together?
No, avoid keeping two male dragon crown tail bettas together, as they will fight each other to death.
How to keep two male dragon crowntail bettas together?
A safer option is to set up two small tanks for each male betta.