In this article we will discuss red white blue betta fish.We will discuss everything about them from their habitat information, tank size,water parameters,feeding habitat,breeding,diets and other parameters too.
In this blog
- Key specifications of red white blue betta fish
- Red white blue betta fish habitat information
- General characteristics of red white blue betta fish
- Tank size of red white blue betta fish
- Water parameters of red white blue betta fish
- Tank mates of red white blue betta fish
- Tank plants for red white blue betta fish
- Substrate for red white blue betta fish
- Feeding habits of red white blue betta fish
- Behavior of red white blue betta fish
- Breeding of red white blue betta fish
- Frequently asked questions
What are the characteristics of the Red white blue betta fish?
Key specifications of red white blue betta fish
|Scientific nameCommon name||Betta splendens Red white blue betta fish|
|Other names||Siamese fighting fish|
|Habitat||Freshwater of Southeast Asia|
|Diet||Carnivore/omnivore in captivity|
|Temperament||Aggressive like their cousins|
|Life span||3-5 years|
|Conservation status||Vulnerable (wild)Red bettas (vulnerable)|
Red white blue betta fish habitat information
Wild bettas are dark gray-green with short fins;nothing beats the colorful long-finned beauties of today.The wild bettas are originally from Southeast asia.
But today bettas have been bred in captivity for different colors and tail variations.
Red,white,blue and combinations of red white blue are also bred in captivity.They are rarely found in wild habitats but can be found in captivity.
General characteristics of red white blue betta fish
- Red,white, blue and a combination of all three bettas are captive bred for their vibrant colouration, finnage and aggression.
- Males are more colorful and aggressive than female bettas.
- Male bettas are bigger than female bettas.
- They have a size between 2-2.5 inches in length.
- They have a lifespan of 3 years if they are well maintained, given a nutritious and balanced diet.
- Genetics do play a vital role in captive bred bettas longevity, if they are not healthy lines, then they won’t be able to survive for 3 years.
Tank size of red white blue betta fish
The minimum tank size for a betta is 2.5 gallons or around 10 liters. They do well in spacious tanks.If they are kept in cramped tanks, their natural growth will hamper and their lifespan will also reduce.
Provide lots of spots to hide to each single bettas so that they can have their own private time and feel safe and secure.
Give them free swimming space too to swim around in the tank.If you keep them in anything below 3 gallons tank they will get stressed and aggressive.
Water parameters of red white blue betta fish
Red white blue and combination of all three colored bettas are a tropical species.They absolutely need a heater so that their water stays at a steady 75-81F or 23.8-27.2C.
They prefer calm water with a pH between 6.8 and 7.5.They prefer soft water, but they do tolerate a wide range of GH between 5-20 DH or 70-300 ppm.Very hard water can be harmful to bettas.
Tank mates of red white blue betta fish
Due to their aggressive nature of red white blue and combination of all three colored bettas, they should not be housed with slow-moving species with large fins ,top dwellers ,fin nippers, predatory species and colorful species too.
Betta males and females should only be housed together when ready to breed.You should never keep a single male betta fish in the same tank as a Siamese fighting fish as they will constantly bully the same individual.
- Neon tetra
- Black neon tetra
- Rummy nose tetra
- Glass catfish
- White cloud mountain minnow
- Ember tetra
- Cardinal tetra
- Celestial pearl danio
- Cory catfish
- Otocinclus catfish
Tank plants for red white blue betta fish
Plants such as Anubias and java fern are well suited for betta pots because these ornamental plants grow through the rhizome, which means they do not need to be planted in a substrate and can be glued to driftwood and stones.
Floating plants will cover the tank and will help bettas to hide and prepare bubble nests during the mating process.
- Peace lilies
- Java Fern
- Chinese Evergreen plants.
- Floating plants like duckweed
Substrate for red white blue betta fish
The best substrate for red white blue and combination of these colors is the Seachem Flourite premium natural substrate.The two best substrates that can be used in aquariums are gravel and sand.
Gravel is an excellent choice because it is easier to fix and produce more beneficial bacteria.Sand is good too because it is easy to keep clean and does not damage them.
To be honest, bettas can go without substrates,as they are not bottom dwellers and if they are sharing their tank with bottom dwellers then you can go ahead with smooth substrates,which don’t hurt neither bettas nor other species too.
Feeding habits of red white blue betta fish
Select pellets with a high animal-derived protein content and a crude protein content of 30% or higher.
Good pellets include dried meat such as shrimp, krill and fish. Made from fresh fish and shellfish are some of the best betta foods available.
- Omega one betta buffet flakes.
- Omega one freeze-dried bloodworms.
- Cobalt pellets floating betta fish food.
- Omega one freeze-dried brine shrimp freshwater & marine fish treat.
- Tetra tetrapro betta crisps
Behavior of red white blue betta fish
- Healthy and happy bettas swim around the aquarium every day. Sometimes they will move around almost lazy, and at other times they will flit quickly from side to side.
- If the betta has no problems swimming and does not seem to lean or struggle to the side, the betta is healthy and happy.
- The most common signs of combat are flaring nostrils, bruising, or biting fins. If you don’t see your fish actively fighting, you may see other signs, including missing scales, torn fins, or increased hiding.
- Betta fish behavior when dying includes discoloration, such as white or brown spots.Strange swimming movements or shredded fins may also signal serious illness.
Breeding of red white blue betta fish
- Prepare a breeding tank beforehand and select a healthy red blue white male and female betta.If you’re not selecting a healthy betta then they might not have good longevity.
- Maintain water parameters, including water temperature, pH, hardness, filters like sponge filters are suitable during breeding them.
- The breeding aquarium requires slightly acidic water at a temperature of 80F and the pH about 6.5.
- Add floating plants which will ease the breeding process.
- Keep male and females away from each other or add a tank divider between them.
- Once all the tank requirements are installed, add male and female bettas and monitor them.
- Once male and female bettas have known each other,male will start making bubble nests to attract female bettas and female bettas accept their bubble nest by hatching eggs on them.
- Male bettas will then fertilize those eggs and carry them safely inside their mouth and keep them in a safe area where they will oxygenate them and protect them, until the baby bettas are free swimming.
- Remove female bettas,as they get more aggressive during the breeding process.
- Separate baby bettas in a separate tank or put back male bettas to his solitary nano tank.
- Feed babies infusoria and other baby foods for their growth and if you want to raise them,you can keep them and give them to betta breeders when they turn six months older.
- Red white blue bettas are aggressive like wild bettas.Aggression is there in their genes.
- The IUCN classifies the red betta fish as vulnerable species due to its limited range and declining numbers.
- White bettas are not as attractive as other colorful bettas.Like other colorful bettas they might not be available in pet stores due to their dull color.You can check online to buy them.
- Water changes should be done either weekly or biweekly to remove organic pollutants and keep the levels of ammonia, nitrite and nitrates in check.
- Bettas lifespan depends on their genetics too and if possible get your white, blue and red bettas from right breeders who are aware of their genetics i.e healthy lines and breeding.
- Being a carnivore, protein should be included in their diets without fail to maintain their finnage coloration and healthy body for good longevity.
- Tank screen tops, plenty of hiding spots or covers and lots of swimming spaces would keep bettas happy and healthy and will maintain bettas natural growth and development.
Frequently asked questions
What light intensity is suitable for red blue and white bettas?
They need light to differentiate between day and night so aquarium lights and indirect sunlight is important in their tanks.Make sure to keep them aways from direct sunlight as this will increase algal growths in their tanks and also avoid too much bright lights as it can stress them.
Can you keep two male red white blue bettas together?
No, male bettas should not be kept together,they will fight each other to death.
Can you mix red white blue bettas and keep them together?
Yes, you can keep but make sure not including males,females are good community fish but males are not.
Are red white blue bettas easily available in pet shops?
They are available and in my opinion better contact good betta breeders for healthy lines of red white blue bettas.