In this article we will discuss paradise betta fish.We will discuss everything about them from their habitat information, tank size,water parameters,feeding habitat,breeding,diets and other parameters too.
In this blog
- Key specifications of paradise betta fish
- Paradise bettas introduction
- Habitat of paradise bettas
- Lifespan of paradise bettas
- Physical appearance and general features of paradise betta fish
- Tank size of paradise bettas
- Water parameters of paradise bettas
- Substrates and decors for of paradise bettas
- Light intensity for paradise bettas
- Tank plants for paradise bettas
- Tank mates of paradise bettas
- Diet of paradise bettas
- Disease and healthcare of paradise bettas
- Frequently asked questions
What are the characteristics of the Paradise betta fish?
Key specifications of paradise betta fish
|Name Scientific name Family||Paradise betta fishBetta splendensOsphronemidae (gourami)|
|DietCare level||CarnivorousModerate to easy|
|Body size||2-3 inches in length|
|Minimum tank sizeTank level||5-10 gallonsMiddle and upper level|
Paradise bettas introduction
The beautiful fighting fish,i.e betta fish,come in so many shapes,colors and varieties, that you’ll have a hard time deciding which one to bring home from the fish shop.
Paradise betta is also sometimes called mustard betta because the two species are very similar in nature.The main difference between them is that the mustard betta can have a green body and a blue body.
Paradise bettas are bi-coloured and look stunning with that appearance.They are a bit easy to care for and make a very good and interactive aquarium buddy.
Habitat of paradise bettas
The mustard gas betta were the original paradise betta and was made by Jude Al in late 90s by crossbreeding different variants of the species.
The paradise bettas are therefore man made or captive bred and are specially exported from southeast asia as per the demand.
The natural habitat of betta is southeast asia and they are mostly found in slow moving water with bushy vegetation.
Lifespan of paradise bettas
Paradise bettas too have a shorter lifespan like their cousin bettas and need proper healthy, well balanced proteinaceous diet to maintain their finnage colouration.
Slow and steady water movement,proper oxygen circulation,stable water temperature,proper water pH & pristine water conditions are required to maintain them in aquarium conditions.
By replicating their natural habitat,you can give them the feel of their natural habitat and they can live happily and stress free in aquarium conditions too.
Physical appearance & general features of paradise betta fish
- Bi-coloured or multi-coloured.
- Body color- Blue bodies with yellowish-orange finnage colors.
- Body size- they are 2-3 inches in length.
- Male paradise bettas are bigger than female bettas.
- The body color of the paradise betta can be very dark blue, bright electric blue, shades of light sky blue or even turquoise color.
- The scales can be metallic or dull.
- Male paradise betta is more colorful than female bettas.
- Males have more beautiful finnage patterns than female paradise bettas.
- Fin variations-halfmoon,delta,veiltail,full moon,crown tail and rose tail variation.
- The paradise betta feeds from the surface and breathes through their labyrinth organ on the water surface at the same time.
- The paradise betta must occasionally inhale air near the surface of the water in order to breathe.
- The adaptation of the labyrinth organ helps paradise bettas survive in low oxygen levels in water and periods of very dry weather when water levels in their natural habitat drop.
Tank size of paradise bettas
- It’s a misconception when it comes to bettas about their labyrinth organ.Many fish keepers think that they can be kept in a bowl or vase without filters as they can survive even in low oxygen level conditions.
- Some betta keepers keep their bettas in such bowls in vases without a filter,which is a big mistake,as bettas need spacious tanks to maintain their long flowing fins.
- They even produce a lot of bioload,because they are voracious eaters,so they need a filter installed in their tanks by default, which can filter out the impurities every 4-5 hours 24/7.
- Never restrict them to bowl and vase and kindly install an efficient filtration system in their tanks too.
- Minimum tank size – 5 to 10 gallons (for solo paradise betta)
- Longer tanks are best for them as it will maintain their heavy,nice flowing fins.
- Bigger and spacious tanks are always better for your paradise bettas,especially when they are kept with tank mates in a community tank.
- Overcrowded tanks will trigger aggression in them.
- Tank level- They occupy middle to upper tank levels and rarely interact with the bottom.
- Make sure other tank mates are not occupying the same tank levels as it can trigger aggression in them.
- An evolutionary habit that allows fish to move to more favorable conditions, find companions, and escape predators and other aggressive males,that is why a hood or lid is mandatory,as they have the tendency to leap out of their tanks.
Water parameters of paradise bettas
- Water pH levels: 6-8.
- Degree of water hardness: 5-35 dGH.
- Nitrate levels: less than 40 ppm.
- Nitrite levels: Zero ppm.
- Aquarium water temperature:74-81F (23.3° to 27.2°C),Paradise betta is a tropical fish and needs warm water to thrive.
- Temperature fluctuations and sudden drops can be detrimental to paradise fish.
- Aquarium heaters must be in their tanks to keep the temperature stable.
- A thermometer is necessary to monitor temperature regularly.
- Efficient filtration system is important to remove toxins from the tank.
- You can use filters with moderate flows and easy to maintain like sponge filters and hang-on back filters.
- Water movement -It should be slow as their long fins will not appreciate the strong water currents,because strong water currents will make swimming even more difficult for them.
Substrates and decors for of paradise bettas
- Soft substrate-sand and pebbles
- Fine black quartz gravel
- Natural-colored gravel
- Various aquarium-safe soils
- Lots of caves and rock works
- Clean the substrate religiously with a gravel siphon to remove debris and accumulated uneaten food.
- Always clean tank decors as they also harbor bacterias which are not good for tanks.
- Avoid pointed and sharp decorative items in paradise betta tanks as it can damage their long flowing fins.
- While cleaning gravels make sure you are not disturbing the beneficial bacteria,as they are important for tanks.
Light intensity for paradise bettas
- Artificial light
- Indirect sunlight (direct sunlight will increase algal growth in their tanks)
- LED light with value of 85
Tank plants for paradise bettas
- Anubias nana
- Marimo moss ball
- Water sprite
- Betta bulb
- Sword plant
Tank mates of paradise bettas
Paradise goes well with non-aggressive species and robust species very well.Hereis the list of suitable tank mates:
- Goldfish (larger fish)
- Gouramis (medium to large size)
- Cyprinid species
- Larger characins
- Eartheater type geophagus cichlids
- Loricariid catfish from South America
- Large synodontis catfish
- Large loaches
Diet of paradise bettas
Paradise fish exhibit omnivorous orientation and will accept a wide variety of food from plant matter to meaty protein diets.
To maintain them try to replicate their natural habitat diet in aquarium conditions for better results.
List of their favorite food
- Mini betta pellets
- Small amount of algae
- insect larvae
- water-bound insects
- Flakes and pellets
- Fresh vegetables
- Mosquito larvae
- Brine shrimp
- Smaller fishes
- They should be fed once or twice a day
- Avoid overfeeding,as it could leady to various digestive disorders
- Remove leftovers everyday by a gravel siphon
- Quarantine live food,as it comes with a lot of infections and can affect your paradise fish health.
- It is important to feed the female nicely before attempting to ovulate, as she will be without food for almost two weeks while she is carrying the eggs.
Disease and healthcare of paradise bettas
Common betta disease,due to poor water conditions,temperature fluctuations, pH fluctuations,low quality diets,dirty tanks dn stress.
- Swim bladder disease
- Bacterial infections
- Parasitic infectious
- Fungal infections
Paradise Betta- $15-20 (Price may vary).You can buy paradise bettas even through auctions.
Paradise betta is an intelligent and inquisitive fish that will easily interact with its owners as they can even recognise their owners.
Paradise betta can be even trained to be hand fed.
Substrates are not important unless they are kept with bottom dwellers.
You should provide your paradise betta fish with plenty of toys to keep them entertained when you are not around.
Always put a lid on their tanks as they have the habit of leaping out of the tanks when they feel threatened.
Paradise betta can be kept in nano tanks when kept alone but should not be restricted to bowls or vase as it can restrict their growth and even trigger aggression due to lack of space.
Maintain male to female ratio like 1 male paradise betta for 5 female paradise betta.
Frequently asked questions
What is the rose tail finnage variation in paradise betta?
The paradise bettas have a half moon appearance,which are multi-folded and have overlapping petals like rose flowers.
What is the full moon finnage variation in paradise betta?
A halfmoon variation of paradise bettas and have a greater tail circumference of 180 degrees.
What is the crown tail finnage variation in paradise betta?
The dorsal,anal and caudal fins of paradise bettas will form a crown like appearance.
What is the veiltail finnage variation in paradise betta?
The veiltail finnage variation is the most popular paradise betta tail type,it looks like a veil.
What is the delta finnage variation in paradise betta?
The delta finnage variation in paradise betta is halfmoon type and is triangular in shape.
What is the halfmoon finnage variation in paradise betta?
The halfmoon finnage variation in paradise betta looks like a half moon and has a 180 degree tail that spreads out and covers the paradise betta ,giving it a cape look.