In this article we will discuss neon green betta fish.We will discuss everything about them from their habitat information, tank size,water parameters,feeding habitat,breeding,diets and other parameters too.
In this blog
- Key specifications of neon green betta fish
- Neon green betta fish introduction
- Habitat of neon green betta fish
- Lifespan of neon green betta fish
- Physical appearance and general features of neon green betta fish
- Tank size of neon green betta fish
- Water parameters of neon green betta fish
- Substrates for of neon green betta fish
- Light intensity for neon green betta fish
- Tank plants for neon green betta fish
- Tank mates of neon green betta fish
- Diet of neon green betta fish
- Disease and healthcare of neon green betta fish
- Frequently asked questions
What are the characteristics of the neon green betta fish?
Key specifications of neon green betta
|Name Scientific name Family||Neon green bettaBetta splendensOsphronemidae|
|DietCare level||Carnivores Moderate|
|Body size||2-3 inches in length|
|Minimum tank sizeTank level||10 gallons tankMiddle to upper level|
|Temperament||Aggressive in nature|
|Color||Bright and dark green|
Neon green betta fish introduction
Neon green bettas are semi-rare bettas that show glimpses of green under their darker outer coloration.The rarest are considered to be pure green bettas.
These are bright and dark green bettas that actually appear green even under normal lighting.Their genes have been modified to make them look shimmery green.
Habitat of neon green bettas
Neon green bettas come from southeast asia.They are not readily available and are exported from thailand as per the demand.
Neon green bettas can be seen in slow moving streams with lush vegetation.They like slow water currents like their natural habitats.
Lifespan of neon green bettas
Neon green bettas are morphs that can live up to three years if the aquarium conditions are ideal.They have a short lifespan due to captive breeding.
Neon green bettas need right water conditions and a proteinaceous diet to survive.Lifespan too dependent on tank size,shape,tank mates and the environment they are dwelling in.
Physical appearance and general features of neon green betta fish
- Body size-Neon green bettas have a size of 2 to 2 and half inches in length.
- Body shape- Neon green bettas have streamlined bodies.
- Body color- A rare green color (mostly fluorescent green)
- Male neon green bettas are bigger than female bettas.
- Male neon green bettas are more aggressive than females
- Males are not for community tanks.
- Females are less aggressive and can co-exist with other tank mates and with their own kind in community tanks too.
Tank size of neon green bettas
- A minimum tank size of 10 gallons is good for a single neon green betta.
- More bettas should be kept in bigger and spacious tanks by selectively picking tank mates for them,because they are famous for their fighting and aggressive behavior.
- They fight for space in overcrowded tanks,so avoid keeping them in smaller tanks.
- Cylindrical shaped tanks will be best for them.
- They occupy the middle and upper levels in the aquarium like their cousins.
Water parameters of neon green bettas
The water parameters should be carefully monitored and pristine water conditions should be maintained.
The neon green betta needs a clean tank,one of the most important requirements that will take up your time is a clean tank.
It is essential that the tank be cleaned frequently, in order to avoid the build-up of algae as well as other harmful tank pollutants.
Make sure the mineral content in the water is maintained by using a good quality water testing kit, you can check the levels of calcium, magnesium, and strontium,chlorine,chloramine as well as other trace elements in the water.
There are many different brands of water testing kits available in fish shops,you can choose according to your wish.
- Water temperature for neon green betta-72-82F
- Water pH for neon green betta- 6.8 to 7.0
- Degree of water hardness for neon green betta-Between 4-8 dGH.
- Water movement in neon green betta tanks- slow and calmer
- Aquarium thermometer-It is required to maintain water temperature
- Aquarium filters-Yes to filter out toxins and other tank pollutants.You can use medium whisper bio bag filter cartridges.
- Air pumps are needed for proper oxygen circulation in tanks.
- Water should be properly treated with a good quality water conditioner to avoid chlorines,heavy metals and chloramines from their tanks.
- Avoid frequent water replacements,as it makes them nervous.
- Partial water replacement is a must for them.
- Rapid fluctuation in aquarium water temperature, water pH or salinity can shock your neon betta fish, which soon leads to death.
- It is important to acclimatize them before adding them to your home aquarium.
Substrates for of neon green bettas
Neon green bettas fish don’t need substrate,as it doesn’t really matter in bettas tanks.They are not at all particular about substrate in their tanks as they don’t interact with the bottom that much.
Some sand or gravel substrate would be fine.Make sure you are not adding coloured gravels in their tanks as it has the tendency to pollute water chemistry.
Always use fine sand or gravels in their tanks as it will recruit some beneficial bacterias for tanks and if some bottom dwellers are staying with them in the same tank then they can interact with the substrate and even investigate the substrate.
Light intensity for neon green bettas
- Light can be important for them as they look more vibrant and spectacular with some background to show their green shimmery colors.
- A blue LED light will be best for displaying their vibrant green colors.
- Avoid exposing them to direct sunlight,as it can increase algal growth in their tanks.
- Too much brightness can stress them.
Tank plants for neon green bettas
- Java moss
- Java fern
- Amazon sword
- Silk plants
- Fake or artificial plants – best for beginners
Tank mates of neon green bettas
The neon green betta male is known for their aggressive temperament. Therefore it is recommended to choose tankmates very carefully, in order to avoid their attacks on other tank mates.
A male neon green betta should not be kept in the same aquarium as other male neon green betta fish as they will show their aggression to either show their dominance or to protect his territory.
It is possible to pair a male neon green betta with a female of the same species, but they should be monitored everyday,as males harass females by chasing them for mating.This can stress the female bettas.
Choose their tank mates wisely as they are aggressive and get along well with species of peaceful temperament.
Here are some of the suitable tank mates for green bettas.
- Small freshwater species.
- Malaysian trumpet snails (MTS)
- Harlequin rasboras
- Kuhli loaches
- Ember tetras
- Cory catfish or corydoras
- Dwarf cichlids
- Single rainbow shark
Diet of neon green bettas
The neon green betta is carnivorous fish but they can be trained to have a wide range of diets in aquarium conditions.They can be fed small size meaty food, such as bloodworms and dried shrimps.These can be either frozen or freeze-dried.
There are many commercial fish foods or prepared food available in pet shops that have been designed to improve the bright color of neon green bettas.
Neon green bettas like their cousins are not picky eaters and happily accept whatever you give them but they don’t start eating immediately after putting them in the aquariums, they take their own sweet time to adjust in the tank.
A Protein rich and carotenoid along with beta carotene diet is very important for neon green bettas as it maintains their green color.
Best food for neon green betta fish:
- Brine shrimp
- Variety of flake food
- Sinking pellets
- Betta pellets
- Algae tablets
- Live daphnia
- Mysis shrimp
- Veggie matter
- Feed them twice a day and avoid overfeeding
- Religiously remove uneaten food from the aquarium substrate with a siphon to avoid tank pollution.
- The uneaten food when it accumulates turns the water cloudy.
Disease and healthcare of neon green bettas
Neon green bettas do get a variety of diseases due to poor water conditions and temperature fluctuations.They too get common betta disease like:
- Fin rot-Bacterial infection,due to poor water conditions.Water changes should be done to improve water quality.
- Constipation- Due to overfeeding, so avoid overfeeding.
- Ich – A parasitic infection,water temperature should be monitored and water filters should be maintained properly.
- Velvet-A parasitic infection,due to oodinium.Water conditions should be monitored
- Swim bladder disease -gasping more air on the surface,so avoid overfeeding and feeding high quality food to them.
- Recommended for both newcomers and experienced fishkeepers.
- Need a blue LED light to see their spectacular green color.
- Their genes have been modified to give them this shimmery green color.
- A good quality water conditioner will keep the tanks devoid of harmful chemicals and heavy metals.
- Males green bettas are more aggressive than female bettas and fight with male bettas and other tank mates to death.It is better to keep male bettas in solitary tanks.
- Female bettas can easily live in community tanks as they are less aggressive than male bettas.
Frequently asked questions
What are Turquoise betta fish?
Turquoise betta fish are a variant of betta, whose scales have a green metallic sheen instead of a green base color.These shades can’t be seen with bare eyes, especially in certain lighting conditions.
Can we keep neon green bettas in tap water tanks?
Neon green bettas can be kept in tap water tanks,only after treating them with water conditioners,by removing harmful heavy metals, chlorine and chloramines from the tap water.