In this article we will discuss elephant ear female betta fish. We will discuss their habitat information, tank-size, water parameters, feeding habits, breeding, diets & other parameters too.
In this blog
- Key specifications of elephant ear female betta fish
- Elephant ear female betta fish
- Habitat of elephant ear female betta fish
- Lifespan of elephant ear female betta fish
- Physical appearance and general characteristics of elephant ear female betta fish
- Tank size of elephant ear female betta fish
- Water parameters of elephant ear female betta fish
- Substrates for elephant ear female betta fish
- Light intensity for elephant ear female betta fish
- Tank plants for elephant ear female betta fish
- Tank mates of elephant ear female betta fish
- Diet of elephant ear female betta fish
- Disease and healthcare of elephant ear female betta fish
- Frequently asked questions
What are the characteristics of the Elephant ear betta fish female?
Key specifications of elephant ear female betta fish
|Name Scientific name Family||Elephant ear betta fishBetta splendensOsphronemidae|
|Diet||Carnivorous and Insectivorous|
|Body size||6.5 cm|
|Minimum tank sizeTank level||20 gallons minimumSurface level|
Elephant ear female betta fish
The female betta fish with elephant ears is one of the most glamorous and rare varieties of betta splendens.
This variety has very enlarged pectoral fins that look like large elephant ears on both sides of the bettas head.
Their fins may have similar coloration to the body or may even be a contrasting color.
Elephant ear female betta doesn’t cost much. You can find them between $ 10 and $ 20, depending on the color variations you choose and where you buy them.
Habitat of elephant ear female betta fish
- Native of elephant ear betta fish – Southeast asia
- Distribution of elephant ear betta fish-Thailand, Vietnam, Mekong delta
- Water type- Standing water/ slow moving water bodies.
- Currently, the International Union for Conservation of Nature lists the elephant-eared female betta as a vulnerable species.
- Much of its habitat has been polluted, and some has been cleaned up to make way for buildings.
Lifespan of elephant ear female betta fish
Elephant ear betta fish can live up to a year, depending entirely on their genetics, the environment they live in, and the level of care they receive from their owners.
- Level of care
- Healthy and balanced diet
- Compatible tank buddies
- Tank shape and tank size
Physical appearance and general characteristics of elephant ear female betta fish
The female elephant ear betta is considered a uniquely shaped fish.The elephant ear female betta fish can grow to a length of about 6.5 cm at maturity and have thin profiles against a backdrop of flowing fins that sometimes appear larger than the actual body.
Elephant ear female betta fish are dull in color. If a female betta fish responds to the mating efforts of a male betta fish, her color can be darkened. She will usually be smaller than a male betta fish.
Color forms of elephant ear female betta fish : Gray, blue, light green, dull green, brown, red, and pink.
The female betta fish with elephant ears has huge fins that resemble elephant ears and help the fish during a swimming expedition.
The pectoral fins of elephant eared bettas can grow up to 5 times larger than those of other bettas.
It is very difficult to breed an elephant ear betta fish. Even if two bettas of the same elephant ear gene are crossed, there is no guarantee that most of their babies will grow into a dumbo betta.
Tank size of elephant ear female betta fish
- Minimum tank size for single elephant ear female betta fish-5 gallons.
- Maximum tank Size- 20 gallons,or even more is recommended.
- Do not overcrowd the tank by adding too many to a small size tank as they require open space for swimming. Overcrowding can make them sick.
Water parameters of elephant ear female betta fish
- Water movement in the tank- Slow
- Tap water is the easiest and most popular choice for female betta fish with elephant ears. You can use it if you prepare tap water correctly.
- Ideal pH- 7.0
- Water hardness- 2-12 dKH
- Ideal temperature- 75F-82F
- Heaters are required.
- A thermometer is important to monitor the temperature everyday.
- To keep them healthy, 20-30% water should be changed once a week.
- Keep elephant ear bettas tank free of algae and do not use soap to clean the tank.
Substrates for of elephant ear female betta fish
Sandy substrate, gravels or bare bottom substrate can work well with elephant ear female betta fish tanks.
Coarse rock can tear their long flowing fins, so smooth rock work is recommended.
When installing the tank, always avoid rough groundwork, edgy ornaments and pointed tank plants. Fine gravel and sand help pets avoid injury and dangerous fin rot as much as possible.
Light intensity for elephant ear female betta fish
Elephant ear female betta fish should be exposed to about 14-16 hours of light (minimum) in a 24-hour day.
Indirect sunlight is sufficient, as direct and constant sunlight can increase algal growth in the tank,which can lead to ammonia pollution.
Tank plants for elephant ear female betta fish
- Floating plants
- Live or fake plants
- Freshwater live plants for aeration
- Dry indian almond leaves
- Branches,add beauty and create a sense of security.
- Avoid sharp plants,as it can damage their beautiful pectoral fins.
- Keep the plants healthy and free from infections.
Tank mates of elephant ear female betta fish
Elephant ear female betta fish are semi aggressive in nature, they even chase their own reflection in the aquarium, and sometimes you can see how they scratch the glass aquarium.Choose their tank mates wisely and make sure to never keep male bettas with them.
Some compatible tank mates for elephant ear female betta fish:
- Other female betta fish
- Pygmy corydoras
- Ember tetra
- Harlequin rasboras
Diet of elephant ear female betta fish
Elephant ear female betta is an insectivorous fish that can be trained to eat a variety of foods in an aquarium setting.
Elephant ear female betta fish feed on a wide variety of foods. The most common food are mosquito larvae, zooplanktons, crustaceans, mosquito larvae, artemia or daphnia, fish pellets and other insect species.
The best food you can get for your elephant ear female betta are pellets or flakes that are unique to betta. These foods provide your betta a balanced diet with all the nutrients they need.
To maintain their vibrant coloration, a proper feeding schedule must be followed. Feed them twice a day, with a break of 10-12 hours between meals. Under no circumstances should overfeeding be allowed.
Disease & healthcare of elephant ear female betta fish
Fortunately, there is still no evidence that elephant ear female bettas are more prone to health problems compared to other bettas.
The only thing that requires special attention is the remarkable size of their pectoral fins and their susceptibility to injury.
- Betta fin rot and tail rot is a common bacterial or fungal infection in elephant ear female betta fish.
- Reddish fins due to rough rock works.
- Constipation due to overfeeding.
- Swim bladder disease due to overfeeding
- Avoid overfeeding your fish & maintain pristine water conditions in the aquarium.
- See a vet if they are not recovering even after the treatment.
- Always maintain a hospital tank to treat sick females.
- Provide a stress free environment to them.
- Live foods should be isolated for two weeks before feeding to avoid various infectious microorganisms.
Female betta fish with elephant ears are special because they are distinguished by a larger pectoral fin rather than a tail. When these are wide open, the fish looks a bit like an elephant’s head.
Aquarium water temperatures should always be maintained between 75-82F.Therefore, aquarium heaters should be more available during cold seasons. You should also test the water for a neutral pH of 7.
The female elephant ear betta fish follows her reflection in the tank, so wipe the glass of the tank to notice this behavior.
Avoid placing sharp plants, sharp ornaments and rough rocks in the tank.
Elephant-eared female betta is a very famous aquarium fish, and because of its large fins and bright colors, everyone wants to put them in their aquarium collection.
- Environment: Freshwater
- Temperament: Community
- Care Level: Easy
- Diet: Carnivorous and insectivorous
- Approx. selling size: 1.5-2.5″
- Prefer slow-moving water and don’t do well in rivers.
- Recommended for both novice and experienced aquarists.
Frequently asked questions
Are elephant ear female betta fish easily available in pet stores?
Elephant ear female betta fish are not easily available in pet stores.
Are elephant ear female betta fish more aggressive than male betta fish?
Females are less aggressive than male elephant ear betta fish.
Are elephant ear female betta fish costly?
Elephant ear female betta fish are not expensive. You can find them anywhere between $10 and $20.
Can you give live food to elephant ear betta fish daily?
Live food should be given once a week to elephant ear betta fish.