In this blog we will discuss midnight black betta fish. This blog will give each and every information related to beautiful midnight black betta fish.
In this blog
- Midnight black betta fish
- Key specifications of midnight black betta fish
- General characteristics of midnight black betta fish
- Tank size of midnight black betta fish
- Water parameters of midnight black betta fish
- Tank mates of midnight black betta fish
- Tank plants for midnight black betta fish
- Substrate for midnight black betta fish
- Food habits of midnight black betta fish
- Behavior of midnight black betta fish
- Breeding of midnight black betta fish
- Frequently asked questions
What are the characteristics of midnight black betta fish?
A millennium of careful selection has produced a staggering variety of domestic bettas living today, and the midnight black betta is one of them.They are basically famous for their jet-black beautiful fins and bodies.
The species originates from Asia and lives in slow-flowing freshwater in Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos.
Key specifications of midnight black betta fish
|Scientific nameName||Betta splendens Midnight black betta fish|
|Other names||Jet black betta fish|
|Habitat||Freshwater of Southeast Asia|
|Life span||2-3 years|
|Conservation status||Vulnerable (wild)Captivity (data deficient)|
General characteristics of midnight black betta fish
- Midnight black bettas have jet-black fins and bodies.
- Midnight bettas have a labyrinth organ, just like their cousins that allow them to breathe from the surface of the water.
- Midnight bettas are mostly popular for their finnage colouration.
- The average length of a midnight black bettas when fully grown is 2.25 inches (5.7 cm).
- Sometimes, under the right conditions, midnight black bettas can grow up to 3 inches (7.6 cm) long.
- Sexual dimorphism is prominent and male midnight black bettas are generally more majestic, with brighter colors and more extravagant fins.
Tank size of midnight black betta fish
- Never ever keep bettas or any of its domesticated forms in tanks smaller than 10 gallons.For a single midnight betta either male or female, a five gallons is perfect.
- If you want your midnight black betta to be happy, energetic, and responsive to you, your betta needs more space than three gallons of water.
- If you’re planning to keep your midnight black bettas with other fish species, then kindly house them in a bigger and spacious tank. A 20 gallons aquarium would be better to keep them together.
- This 20 gallons can accommodate fish that require extra space to swim and that can grow a little larger than midnight black bettas.
Water parameters of midnight black betta fish
Like other betta species, the midnight black betta fish prefers that its water pH is slightly acidic. They work best in the pH range of 6.5 to 7.5 (7 neutral).
Some tap and spring water may be much higher than 7.5 which means you should always test the water before adding it to your betta tank.
Bettas come from warm waters, so they prefer a temperature range between75-80F to thrive in aquarium settings. A good quality heater and a thermometer are absolutely essential to maintain this range.
When the temperature of the midnight black betta tank is too low, the betta will become lethargic. To avoid this kindly replicate the same temperatures in bettas artificial home.
When you see your midnight black betta making its way to the surface, they are using their labyrinth organ to extract oxygen from the air, then kindly check the water parameters and take necessary actions as soon as possible.
Wild bettas prefer calm waters and the same goes with domesticated ones. A strong filter can create excessive currents for fish that are accustomed to nearly still water in the wild. If water currents are too high in bettas tanks, then they will avoid swimming and stay in their hiding spots mostly.
Tank mates of midnight black betta fish
If you are considering introducing tank companions and other aquatic life to midnight male bettas aquarium, you should always make sure their potential aquarium mates will thrive in the same water conditions and habitat as your betta.
Female bettas are much better than male bettas in terms of aggressiveness. They get along well with male bettas, other female bettas and tank companions too. The only condition is, to keep them in groups to avoid conflicts.
Mystery snails, in particular, are a great choice because they clean up algae, eat uneaten food, are very docile, and have a tough shell to back off if your betta is particularly curious.
Ghost shrimp and red cherry shrimp are good candidates and will make great members of your tank cleaning team.
If you’re not ready for other fish or invertebrates, the marimo moss ball is the perfect betta fish companion. They are cheap, grow slowly, absorb nitrate and produce oxygen.
Dwarf frogs get along well with bettas because they rarely interact. They prefer small groups and enjoy exploring their surroundings.
Midnight black bettas typically attack scales, gills, and tails and react to bites from aggressive finnippers. It would be best to not add species that are more huge than midnight bettas and have long finnage like bettas.
Tank plants for midnight black betta fish
Most plants are suitable for midnight black betta fish. However, many people recommend using peace lilies,java fern,or chinese evergreens. However, if something is labeled as suitable for fish tanks, it must be safe for bettas.
The plants are perfect for bettas bowls and aquariums. Because they like to snuggle up between the leaves and rest.
Plastic aquarium plants or fake plants made from soft plastic are generally safe for midnight black betta fish.
Substrate for midnight black betta fish
Substrate is not important as betta fish are not true foragers. As long as there is vegetation to hide and rest, they will work. It helps to clean your tank much easier.
The best substrate for bettas would be gravel and sand, as they are easy to maintain. The only thing to consider with substrate is its cleaning process, because it harbors some useful bacterias, which are very essential for bettas health. Use gravel siphons to clean the substrate carefully, without disturbing the useful bacteria.
Food habits of midnight black betta fish
Bettas are carnivorous species and they need lots of proteins in their diet. In aquarium conditions they can be trained to feed a variety of foods but they love to have the same food, which they usually eat in their natural habitat.
You can feed them:
- Specific pellets or flakes designed for bettas (They don’t eat flakes, but you can train them to have flakes and pellets)
- Live food ( for mental stimulation)
- Frozen food ( defrost before feeding)
- Freeze-dried food (Don’t overfeed, as it can upset their digestive tract )
- Some veggies from your kitchen (Occasionally)
Betta fish have a small digestive system and can accumulate toxins in the digestive tract. Skipping feeding helps to wash away those toxins. Intentionally missing food one day a week is good for bettas, but don’t miss any more.
Behavior of midnight black betta fish
Signs of happy midnight black betta fish:
- Swim happily
- Create bubble nest
- Vibrant color
- Comes up to greet their human
- Flare often
- Healthy appetite
- Get along with tank companions
- Don’t hide all the time except resting
Signs of angry midnight black betta fish:
- Flaring their gills and spreading out their fins for more than two minutes every day.
- Attack other tank companions.
Signs of sick midnight black betta fish:
- White spots
- Loss of appetite
- Clamped fins
- Abnormal swimming patterns
- Cloudy eyes
- Hiding more prominent
Breeding of midnight black betta fish
During breeding, midnight black male bettas build a bubble nest on the surface and attract females.
Once a pair is formed, they engage in an elaborate mating ritual. When the females start laying eggs, the males retrieve them and store them in the nest.
Do not disturb the breeding tank. Otherwise, there is a risk of the bubble nest collapsing. Install the breeding tank in a quiet location because loud noises might distract them or might frighten them. Such situations can result in unsuccessful breeding too. If you want them to breed successfully, then give them all the privacy they need for the same.
Maintain all the ideal conditions needed for successful breeding like water temperature, water levels and hiding spots too. Give them time to interact with each other without disturbing the couple engaged in the breeding process.
Once the babies are out, kindly remove female bettas and let only male bettas look after them. Feed babies as per the vet’s instruction or start with infusoria and then other betta specific food as they grow.
Midnight black betta fish may be as aggressive as all bettas, but there are ways to deal with this. Even beginners can successfully take care of these fish. When their aggression is controlled,it is very easy to handle this hardy and undemanding freshwater fish.
The number one cause of death in midnight black betta fish is poor environment such as unclean water,incompatible tank companions and undersized tank size. Always maintain pristine water conditions in bettas tanks.
The more you replicate this natural environment, the happier midnight black betta will be, and the longer it will live.
Frequently asked questions
Are midnight black bettas easy to care for?
Yes, midnight black bettas are easy to care for.
Are midnight black bettas rare?
Midnight black bettas are not rare,but you may notice that midnight black bettas are hard to find if you’ve been looking. The key word is pure, because if you can find a pure midnight black betta, then you have a truly coveted fish.
Can you keep two male midnight black bettas together?
If you want to avoid fights then kindly keep male midnight bettas separately or house them in solitary tanks.