What are the characteristics of Male koi betta fish?
In this article we will discuss male koi betta fish.We will discuss everything about them from their habitat information, tank size,water parameters,feeding habitat,breeding,diets and other parameters too.
In this blog
- Key specifications of male koi betta fish
- Male koi betta fish introduction
- Habitat of male koi betta fish
- Lifespan of male koi betta fish
- Physical appearance and general characteristics of male koi betta fish
- Tank size of male koi betta fish
- Water parameters of male koi betta fish
- Substrates for male koi betta fish
- Light intensity for male koi betta fish
- Tank plants for male koi betta fish
- Tank mates of male koi betta fish
- Diet of male koi betta fish
- Disease and healthcare of male koi betta fish
- Frequently asked questions
What are the characteristics of Male koi betta fish?
Key specifications of male koi betta fish
|Name Scientific name Family||Male koi betta fishBetta splendensOsphronemidae|
|Habitat||Freshwater of Southeast Asia|
|Body size||3 inches (7.6 cm)|
|Minimum tank sizeTank level||10 gallonsMiddle to upper level|
|Temperament||Semi-aggressive – Aggressive|
Male koi betta fish introduction
Betta splendens are known for their jewel-like vibrant colors and spectacular long flowing fins, and come in a huge variety of morphs.
Due to the extreme aggressiveness of male betta fish towards other betta fish, they are called Siamese fighting fish.Male koi bettas are another morph of bettas and are quite uncommon.
Male koi bettas are a variation of marbled betta.Marbled bettas come in almost many color combinations.Koi bettas are captive bred to exactly look like koi carp fish.
Habitat of male koi betta fish
Like other bettas they come from Thailand,Southeast Asia and breeders ship them to bettas enthusiasts on demand.It is therefore very rare, but not impossible, to find a male koi betta by chance in your local pet shop.
Lifespan of male koi betta fish
Male koi betta can live up to 3 years like their other cousins, if they are given the right diet,nutritious and balanced meals,compatible tank mates,right tank size,proper tank management and a stress free environment.
The most important thing is if they are from the right breeders and have healthy lines,then definitely they will live for 3 years without fail.
Make sure you are getting them from breeders who are aware of their genetics and healthy lines.
Physical appearance and general characteristics of male koi betta fish
- Like other bettas,male koi bettas are about 3 inches (7.6 cm) long. They don’t require extra headspace for their finnage.
- Male koi plakat betta fish- It is a betta bred with shorter fins and tails.Different color and patterns are usually more common in plakat varieties and have more cellophane coloring.
- A male koi betta is a marble betta which has a marble gene,a jumping gene which gives splotches of pigments all over the body and fins.
- They have solid-colored blotches on a white or flesh-colored body or vice versa.
- Koi Betta has a traditional koi fish coloration.
- Koi bettas come in red, orange, black, or white color variations
- They are very active and healthy bettas.
- Koi bettas like their cousins can resist low oxygen levels due to their special organ Labyrinth bladder.It is mainly used for breathing oxygen on the water surface.
Tank size of male koi betta fish
- The minimum tank size for male koi betta fish is 10 gallons.
- They occupy the middle to top region of the tank.
- Like their other cousins they do well in spacious tanks.
- Provide them with lots of space for swimming and lots of hiding spots too.
- Don’t keep them in smaller tanks or bowls they won’t fit there.
- A proper hood is required to cover their tanks,as they have the habit of jumping like their other cousins,when they feel threatened or overwhelmed.
- Never keep two male koi bettas together as they are very aggressive and tend to fight with each other to death.
- Always keep one male koi with 5 females to maintain the tank’s peaceful environment.
- Don’t add tank mates if the tank size is below 10 gallons as overcrowded tanks can trigger aggression in bettas.
- It’s better to keep a single male koi bettas in a 10 gallon tank and with tank mates you need a bigger and spacious tank.
Water parameters of male koi betta fish
- Water temperature for male koi betta-75°F and 80°F
- Water pH for male koi betta-6.0-8.0
- Degree of water hardness for male koi betta-5-35 dGH
- Water movement- slow as they come from calmer regions
- Water type- Freshwater tanks
- They need proper oxygen circulation in their tanks.
- Efficient filtration system like sponge filters and hang-on-back filters to eliminate waste from the tanks.
- Bettas are very sensitive to poor water conditions, temperature fluctuations and pH fluctuations.
- It is very important to practice proper tank management to avoid tank pollution.
- Weekly water changes should be done.
- Water should be monitored either everyday or weekly using the best quality water testing kits.
- Always using gravel siphons to remove debris and leftovers from the tank to avoid tank pollution.
- An aquarium heater and thermometer is required to maintain aquarium water temperature.
Substrates for of male koi betta fish
Like their cousins they also occupy the middle and upper regions of the tank and rarely interact with the bottom of the tank.Substrate really doesn’t play any role in their tanks.if they are kept with bottom dwellers then you can add substrate according to their preference.
A smooth sand or gravel substrate will do the needful.Substrate also produces beneficial bacteria which are good for bettas health,so you can go ahead with smooth sand grains or gravels for their tanks.
Make sure to clean the gravels using a gravel siphon each day to remove debris and leftovers to avoid tank pollutants.
All bettas prefer decors and hiding spots in their tanks,so decorate their tanks nicely by giving a natural touch like their original habitat. Provide caves ,lots of rock works and driftwoods for them.
Light intensity for male koi betta fish
- Male koi bettas have no special requirements for lighting in their tanks.
- A subdued lighting is preferred
- Too much brightness is not required,as it can stress them.
- Direct sunlight is not preferred as it can increase unnecessary algal growth in the tanks.
- Indirect sunlight would be fine.
- Standard aquarium bulbs are fine
Tank plants for male koi betta fish
Bettas come from a dense vegetation area,shady areas so they prefer the same environment in their tanks too.
It would be better to replicate the same appearance in their tanks too to give the touch of their natural habitat and make them feel happy and secure.
Plants act as natural purifiers and keep the aquarium environment clean and fresh.They purify toxins naturally and provide oxygen too.
It would be better to always trim tank plants and clean them weekly and remove dead tank plants which can change the water chemistry as dead plants harbor bad bacterias.
It is very important to have some live floating plants in male koi betta tanks too
- Aquatic plants
- Floating plants
- Artificial or fake plants
- Duckweed or azolla
- Peace lily
Tank mates of male koi betta fish
- Choose their tank mates wisely as they are very aggressive like their cousins.
- They are either kept alone or with tank mates of peaceful temperaments.
- They don’t like aggressive species, brightly coloured species, boisterous species and fish who invade their space,it actually triggers their aggression.
- Males are very aggressive and fight with each other to death if kept together for both mating and establish their dominance.
- Males are not fit for community tanks.
- Female bettas are better than males; they can coexist with other male and female bettas and in community tanks too.
- Always keep one male for five females in the tank to avoid aggressions.
- Tank mates-danios,corydoras catfish,tetras, mollies,kuhli loaches and white cloud mountain minnows,
Diet of male koi betta fish
- Male koi bettas like their cousins are carnivores and prefer lots of protein in their diets.They have upturned mouths and have a digestive system which is made to accept carnivores’ diet.
- Hikari betta bio-gold pellets
- Insect and insects larvae (mosquito larvae)
- Live and frozen food like bloodworms, brine shrimp, and daphnia
- Freeze dried food or fresh food 1 to 2 days per week
- Prepared food like pellets and flakes
- Pellet food usually expands when kept in water and is very fulfilling for your male koi betta.
- Two to four pellets, once or twice per day
- Fresh veggies
- Feed them small amount 2-3 times a day
- Juveniles should be fed 3-4 times for their proper growth
- Overfeeding is not allowed as it can worsen their health and even create bioload in the aquarium.
Disease and healthcare of male koi betta fish
Common betta disease like:
- Swim bladder disease- due to gasping air
- Constipation- overfeeding
- Fungal disease- mouth fungus
- Fin rot- water parameters should be monitored
There are many varieties of koi betta fish, each with its own unique color, pattern and style.Approx selling size of male koi betta is 1.5-2.5 inches in length.Male Koi Betta price- $16-20 (Price may vary)
They’re known for being aggressive,but that’s how bettas are,their genetic constitution is like that only.They have more aggressive genes in them.Always keep one male for every five females (sorority).Never ever keep two male koi bettas together,as they are very aggressive.
Male koi bettas should be fed plenty of proteins in their diet to maintain their body color and for their longevity.Tank maintenance is a must to avoid ammonia pollution and other tank pollutants.
Frequently asked questions
What was the color of the very first marbled koi betta fish?
The color of the very first marbled koi betta fish were black and white.
Are male koi bettas expensive aquarium fish?
No,male koi bettas are not expensive but are tagged as exotic fish in pet stores and to be honest the price may vary,as they are exported on demand.Do a proper research before buying them.
Which koi bettas have blue color scales on their bodies?
Galaxy koi betta have large blue scales or patches.