My dog ate Oreos

Through carelessness, dogs can end up eating what they shouldn’t, but what to do in these situations? What foods can dogs eat without me worrying? And if my dog eats an Oreo, will he have health problems? To answer these questions, this post will talk about the consumption of foods that can be toxic to dogs.

My dog ate Oreos

If the dog has eaten Oreos, you should see a veterinarian as soon as possible. Oreos are made up of foods that can be very harmful to the dogs gastrointestinal tract. When not properly treated, animals may experience vomiting, diarrhea, neurological signs, dehydration, and even death.

The amount of Oreos ingested by dogs is what will define the severity of the problem. So, the more Oreos the animal eats, the more life risks it can present. For those who ate only one Oreo, the chances of health problems are much lower. 

But it is always advisable to seek help from a veterinarian, so the animal will be under observation and treated in the appropriate way according to the presented symptoms.

What is an Oreo

Oreo is an industrialized food made with a cookie of wheat flour, oil, sugar, and chocolate. This type of food is filled with sweetened fats that make it palatable to the palate of children and dogs.

The Oreo is a super famous cookie, and many people end up giving a piece or even a whole cookie to their dogs. This practice is not beneficial for the dogs health, so it is recommended to avoid providing this type of food to dogs. Accidentally some dogs can consume large amounts of Oreo, thus requiring veterinary care.

Why can Oreos be toxic to dogs?

The flour rich in sugar, vegetable fat and cocoa present in these cookies can harm the dogs health.

The sugars present in Oreos cookies contribute to dog obesity, this condition can have serious consequences for the dog’s health, such as diabetes, joint problems, predisposition to heart disease.

Oil and butter are rich in fat. Excessive fat intake by dogs can lead to diarrhea, vomiting and even diseases such as pancreatitis. That’s why you can’t give dog Oreos cookies.

Oreo cookies are also made up of flour and eggs that do not add many nutrients to the dog’s diet when offered as cookies. The nutritional value of the Oreos cookies is significantly low, not bringing any benefit to the dog.

The chocolate present in Oreos cookies is made from cocoa which is composed of carbohydrates, vitamins and organic acids such as methylxanthines, which are theobromine and caffeine, considered stimulants of organic functions.

The dog’s organism takes a long time to process the organic acids present in chocolate, thus leading to intoxication that can increase the physical stimulus of the animal, leading it to present some symptoms.

The main intoxication symptoms shown by dogs are:

  • Intense vocalization;
  • Diarrhea;
  • Vomiting;
  • Hyperactivity;
  • Tremors;
  • Weakness;
  • Abdominal pain;
  • Cardiac arrhythmias;
  • Convulsions;
  • Dehydration.

Foods to Avoid in Dogs

Some foods are harmful to the dog’s health such as:

  • Chocolate;
  • Coffee;
  • Garlic;
  • Onion;
  • Star fruit;
  • Others.

The list of foods that should not be consumed by dogs is huge, so before providing any food to the dog, you should research safe sources if this food is not toxic leading to diseases in dogs.

The ideal is that dogs do not feed on human food, without a veterinarian indication. Commercial food or natural food indicated by a veterinary nutritionist for dogs, are already balanced and it is not necessary to add other foods.

Recommended snacks

Snacks are extra food for the dog’s diet. They shouldn’t be offered very often, but they can be used to treat the dog. Snacks can be used in dog training as positive reinforcement. But what Snacks can be given to a dog?

There are several commercial snacks made by industries to be supplied to dogs. They are snacks with high palatability and that are not so bad for the dogs health. 

However, the excess of these snacks associated with the animal’s diet and lack of exercise practices can make the dog gain a lot of weight.

If the dog feeds on the natural diet, there are some natural snacks that can be indicated by a veterinary nutritionist. Natural diets are an excellent option for dogs that do not eat industrialized foods, or dogs that already have some disease. 

Natural treats are prescribed to vary the animal’s diet, in accordance with the dog’s food balance, avoiding calorie extrapolation and weight gain.

Conclusion

Dogs can eat some natural foods but foods like cookies or Oreos should be avoided. These processed products can be rich in substances that can bring various harm to the dog’s health and even lead to death. If the animal consumes a large amount of Oreo, the animal should be taken to the veterinarian for an urgent evaluation.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs): My dog ate Oreos

How many grams of chocolate can kill a dog?

Less than 60 grams of milk chocolate can be enough to intoxicate a dog. That’s why you never give chocolate to dogs.

What to do if the dog eats Oreos cookies?

Take the animal to the vet so that it can be observed, and the appropriate medications are taken to avoid major reactions. If you can, take the cookie wrapper to show the vet.

What foods are toxic to dogs?

The most toxic foods for dogs and should not be fed to animals are:

  • Chocolate;
  • Coffee;
  • Garlic;
  • Onion;
  • Star fruit;
  • Others.

References

Carciofi, A. C., Takakura, F. S., De‐Oliveira, L. D., Teshima, E., Jeremias, J. T., Brunetto, M. A., & Prada, F. (2008). Effects of six carbohydrate sources on dog diet digestibility and post‐prandial glucose and insulin response. Journal of Animal Physiology and Animal Nutrition, 92(3), 326-336.

Truett, A. A., Borne, A. T., Monteiro, M. P., & West, D. B. (1998). Composition of dietary fat affects blood pressure and insulin responses to dietary obesity in the dog. Obesity research, 6(2), 137-146.

Picture from pixabay.com

What was missing from this post which could have made it better?