My dog ate chocolate chip cookies

Can I give my dog chocolate chip cookies? And if a dog accidentally ended up eating chocolate chip cookies, what to do? This blog aims to talk about the consumption of chocolate chip cookies by dogs and what are the problems of providing this type of food to dogs.

Your dog ate chocolate chip cookies

Many dogs, when seeing their tutors eating something like chocolate chip cookies, are barking and asking for a piece of the food. However, chocolate chip cookies are not healthy food for dogs and should never be offered to the animal.

If your dog mistakenly ended up eating chocolate chip cookies, a veterinarian should be consulted to avoid damage and even death to the dog. The sooner the animal is treated, the greater the chances of reducing the reaction to the toxic components present in chocolate chip cookies.

Can you give chocolate chip cookies to a dog?

No, dogs should not eat chocolate chip cookies. Chocolate chip cookies are a human food that is made up of cockies high in fat, sugars, and carbohydrates, which have no nutritional value for dogs, and chocolate, which is toxic to dogs.

Dangers of chocolate chip cookies

Chocolate chip cookies are foods that usually contain flour, sugar, eggs and oil or butter. That in excess is not good for the health of the dog.

The sugars present in cookies contribute to dog obesity, this condition can have serious consequences for the dog’s health, such as diabetes, joint problems, predisposition to heart disease.

Oil and butter are rich in fat. Excessive fat intake by dogs can lead to diarrhea, vomiting and even diseases such as pancreatitis. That’s why you can’t give dog chocolate chip cookies.

Chocolate cookies are also made up of flour and eggs that do not add many nutrients to the dog’s diet when offered as cookies. The nutritional value of the cookies is significantly low, not bringing any benefit to the dog.

The chocolate present in chocolate chip cookies is made from cocoa which is composed of carbohydrates, vitamins and organic acids such as methylxanthines, which are theobromine and caffeine, considered stimulants of organic functions.

The dog’s organism takes a long time to process the organic acids present in chocolate, thus leading to intoxication that can increase the physical stimulus of the animal, leading it to present some symptoms.

The main intoxication symptoms shown by dogs are:

  • Intense vocalization;
  • Diarrhea;
  • Vomiting;
  • Hyperactivity;
  • Tremors;
  • Weakness;
  • Abdominal pain;
  • Cardiac arrhythmias;
  • Convulsions;
  • Dehydration.

Foods to Avoid in Dogs

Some foods are harmful to the dog’s health such as:

  • Chocolate;
  • Coffee;
  • Garlic;
  • Onion;
  • Star fruit;
  • Others.

The list of foods that should not be consumed by dogs is huge, so before providing any food to the dog, you should research safe sources if this food is not toxic leading to diseases in dogs.

The ideal is that dogs do not feed on human food, without a veterinarian indication. Commercial food or natural food indicated by a veterinary nutritionist for dogs, are already balanced and it is not necessary to add other foods.

Recommended snacks

Snacks are extra food for the dog’s diet. They shouldn’t be offered very often, but they can be used to treat the dog. Snacks can be used in dog training as positive reinforcement. But what Snacks can be given to a dog?

There are several commercial snacks made by industries to be supplied to dogs. They are snacks with high palatability and that are not so bad for the dogs health. 

However, the excess of these snacks associated with the animal’s diet and lack of exercise practices can make the dog gain a lot of weight.

If the dog feeds on the natural diet, there are some natural snacks that can be indicated by a veterinary nutritionist. Natural diets are an excellent option for dogs that do not eat industrialized foods, or dogs that already have some disease. 

Natural treats are prescribed to vary the animal’s diet, in accordance with the dog’s food balance, avoiding calorie extrapolation and weight gain.

Conclusion

Dogs cannot eat chocolate chip cookies. The only food to be provided to dogs are commercial dog foods or treats, or foods prescribed by a veterinary nutritionist. If the dog accidentally eats chocolate chip cookies, the animal should be taken to a veterinary hospital for observation.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs): My dog ate chocolate chip cookies

How many grams of chocolate can kill a dog?

Less than 60 grams of milk chocolate can be enough to intoxicate a dog. That’s why you never give chocolate to dogs.

What to do if the dog eats chocolate chip cookies?

Take the animal to the vet so that it can be observed, and the appropriate medications are taken to avoid major reactions. If you can, take the cookie wrapper to show the vet.

What foods are toxic to dogs?

The most toxic foods for dogs and should not be fed to animals are:

  • Chocolate;
  • Coffee;
  • Garlic;
  • Onion;
  • Star fruit;
  • Others.

References

Carciofi, A. C., Takakura, F. S., De‐Oliveira, L. D., Teshima, E., Jeremias, J. T., Brunetto, M. A., & Prada, F. (2008). Effects of six carbohydrate sources on dog diet digestibility and post‐prandial glucose and insulin response. Journal of Animal Physiology and Animal Nutrition, 92(3), 326-336.

Truett, A. A., Borne, A. T., Monteiro, M. P., & West, D. B. (1998). Composition of dietary fat affects blood pressure and insulin responses to dietary obesity in the dog. Obesity research, 6(2), 137-146.

Picture from flirck.com

What was missing from this post which could have made it better?