In this blog we will discuss how to travel with a betta fish.This blog will help betta enthusiasts and will give them ideas regarding traveling with their betta fish.
In this blog
- How to travel with a betta fish?
- What kind of containers are used to travel with betta fish?
- Is it possible to travel with a betta fish?
- How long can a betta fish travel in the car?
- Water suitable for bettas during traveling
- Can bettas withstand temperature fluctuations during traveling?
- Is it possible to travel with a betta fish?
- Why is fasting important before traveling with betta fish?
- Why do you need fish towels while traveling?
- What are breathing bags?
- Frequently asked questions
How to travel with a betta fish?
Traveling with a betta doesn’t have to be stressful, and there are many ways to make it as rewarding as possible.
If you follow the correct ways and make sure that the bettas are comfortable,then the success rate throughout the process will be good.
Do a thorough research abouts do’s and dont’s during the trip to make sure nothing is troubling your little and colorful buddy.
What kind of containers are used to travel with betta fish?
Small fish can be moved in a plastic bag with a twisted tie at the top, just by moving a short distance,within one hour.You can also use a small plastic container with a lid.
Bettas are great jumpers, so you need to use a closed container. It is best to use a clear container so you can check the condition of the betta on the go without opening the container.
Avoid using any human-used containers or plastics.They may contain food particles, spices, cooking oils and soaps.According to some experts, betta fish last 9 to 10 hours (sometimes a day or two) in the bag.
However, leaving the fish in the bag for 5-7 hours is great for you and your fish.Travel bags should be prepared in advance and contain emergency containers in case the main bag leaks or has problems.
Types of bags or containers suitable for bettas while traveling:
- Unused transparent plastic bags-Simply fill a sturdy and transparent plastic bag halfway with aquarium water and place the fish in it.
- Ziploc bags- Do not let the betta fish stay in the zip lock bag for more than 30 minutes.
- It is also important that the bag is clean and has no holes. Make sure it is the maximum zip lock size and do not put multiple fish in the bag.
- Transparent tupperware bags- Use tupperware that have not been used by people, because they may have pieces of food and soap on them.
- Lids should ideally be screwed on, not snapped on, just in case. Double-pack all used bags and make sure they are clean.
Water suitable for bettas during traveling
It is advised to put the fish in the water from the aquarium, not from the faucet.Fill the container with water from the top of the tank.This water is the cleanest.
If you draw water from the bottom, you can put the trash in a small container and expose it to the bacteria that settle on the bottom.
At least half of the travel water should consist of tank water, so a partial change a few days beforehand is important (keep it clean and free of ammonia).This is to avoid shocking or stressing your Betta.
Can bettas withstand temperature fluctuations during traveling?
One of the biggest challenges people traveling with bettas face is maintaining the correct water temperature.
The water temperature inside a car can change quickly and this can be maintained using 24-hour disposable heating pads that will release heat slowly during the ride.
In some cases, it may be useful to have another disposable heating pad in case the used one doesn’t work.The Betta is a tropical fish and they need a water temperature between 77°F and 84°F at all times.
Betta fish need to stay at normal water temperatures. Fluctuations in water temperature can cause fish to become ill.Try to keep the fish water at the same temperature as a normal aquarium.
Is it possible to travel with a betta fish?
- The waste your fighting fish or betta produces will build up in the water and cause an ammonia surge.This can quickly harm your fish at levels as low as 0.1 ppm.
- The total travel time or trip duration with live fish should not exceed a few hours.
- Betta fish can withstand long car rides.Keep the water clean,regularly provide fresh air, and keep the temperature warm to increase their chances of survival.
- Fast the fish the day before your trip to prevent bloating and waste accumulation.
- Betta fish can survive in a car, especially on smooth roads. Rough backstreets can cause stress, but with proper care and planning, fish can survive stress-free.
- Do not put several fish in the same bag; Every fish needs its own space.
How long can a betta fish travel in the car?
A fighting fish can survive a long car ride, even if it lasts up to several days. If you change the water before the trip, then it will not need to be changed for several days.
If you think that your trip will last more than three days, take some water from the tank with you.Fish cannot be left in the car for hours due to possible temperature changes.
Plan all your travel details before you start your trip.If your car is cold, place betta fish in a warm place like your lap.Lap provides amazing heat and a place like your foot under the dash is dangerous because it can get too hot.
Consider putting a thermometer in the betta fish box for a very general temperature reading.
Can you travel with betta fish on a plane?
According to TSA regulations, you can carry fish on a plane in any amount of water you like; TSA only needs to visually inspect the fish,if it’s alive, they know the liquid is water, not poison or something.
Live fish can be transported in hand luggage in transparent containers.They cannot be placed in checked baggage.
Why is fasting important before traveling with betta fish?
It is necessary to fast for 12 hours before traveling,because they will produce more poop, which contains lots of ammonia, which inturn will increase the ammonia levels in the ziplock bags.
These ammonia spikes can alter the water chemistry,which won’t be suitable for bettas to thrive and they might die during traveling.
Why do you need fish towels while traveling?
It is important to put the betta fish in a small box or basket and wrap it in a fish towel to darken it.Putting the fish in a separate container makes it easier to hold.
You need something that is easy to hold, or something that is difficult to hold / roll even when placed in a nearby seat. A fish towel is one that can get wet.
Even the best tupperware leaks.Older t-shirts are absorbent, but most effective because they don’t smell as musty as towels.You want it dark for the fish so it can be less stressed during the ride.
What are breathing bags?
Double bags, also known as breath bags, are bags specifically designed for transporting fish or a container with an airtight lid. It is usually recommended to use 1 part water and 2 parts air in the bag or container.
It is possible to travel with betta fish,but length of your trip is equally important.If your trip is very long, open a cup or bag from time to time to let in clean, fresh air.
Betta fish can survive for about 2 days in a bag full of oxygen. It is important to note that the normal atmosphere inside the bag does not contain enough oxygen.
You starve your bettas before traveling because if they have food in their bodies, they can produce waste during the journey and this will contaminate their small amount of water during the journey.
It also prevents them from bloating, as some fish are unable to excrete waste when stressed.
Add new water only if the trip spans multiple days.
The betta fish should not be fed during the trip to reduce the amount of ammonia in their transparent bags.
Make sure there are no temperature fluctuations in bettas ziplock bags,as it can make them sick due to changes in the temperature.
A road trip gives your betta one of the best chances to get to your destination safe, sound and stress-free.
For added protection and to reduce leaks,cover the first bag with a second plastic bag.
Don’t forget to check them, but less often.
Frequently asked questions
Is it necessary to do partial water changes before traveling with bettas?
Do partial water change on your tank two days before you leave,as this will keep the water at safe levels,keeping ammonia levels low and safe for your betta fish.