We will talk about endler fish care in this blog post.We will also discuss important factors such as their habitat, types,lifespan,tank set-up, water parameters and healthcare, etc.Everything you need to know about endler fish care will be briefly discussed.
In this blog
- Key specifications of endler fish
- Why is endler fish care important?
- How many endler fish should you start with as a newcomer?
- Habitat of endler fish
- Types of endler fish
- Different strains or colors of endler fish
- General and physical attributes of endler fish
- Endler fish lifespan
- Endler fish tank set-up
- Endler fish diet and feeding requirements
- Endler fish healthcare and health conditions
- Endler fish daily care and Bi-weekly care tips
How to take care of Endler fish?
Daily care tips for endler fish
- Suitable filtration system is a must for endlers.But don’t install a powerful filtration system.
- While using sponge filters make sure the sponge is not sucking small fish in it.
- Cover the tanks with the lid properly as they have the habit of jumping out of the tank.
- Feed what fits in their small mouth.
- Adult endlers should be fed small amounts once or twice a day.
- Baby endlers should be fed 3-4 times a day.
- Avoid overfeeding, it could lead to obesity.
- Separate sick tank mates to hospital tanks or a seperate tanks until they recover to avoid the community spread of disease.
- Check if all the tank accessories are in working condition or not.
- Use gravel siphons to remove leftovers from the substrate on a daily basis without fail.
Bi-weekly care tips for endler fish
- 25-30% water should be changed weekly once.
- Sudden water changes can affect male endlers’ fins.
- You can use a water test kit to know when to change the water.
- Live and frozen food should be given once or twice a week.
- Quarantine the new fish for a week or two before putting them to the main tank, to avoid spread of disease.
- Always quarantine live food for 2 weeks before feeding.
- Alwayse clean decors and tank plants weekly to avoid infections.
Key specifications of Endler fish
|Scientific name||Poecilia wingei|
|Habitat||South AmericaFreshwater Warm and lentic|
|LifespanConservation status||2-3 yearsEndangered (human activity)Wild population under threat.|
|Body sizeBody shapeColor|
|Tiny (1-1.8 inches in length)Differs from species to speciesJapan blue,silver, black,orange with metallic shadesFemales are largerMales are more colorful|
|Another names||Endler’s guppyEndler’s livebearerEndler fishEndlersMini fishDwarf guppy|
|Optimum temperatureOptimum pHWater hardness||64 F-84F (most important)6.7-8.5 (neutral pH)9-25 dGH|
|PeacefulKnown for their courtship behavior (sigmoid display)Suitable for both fishkeepers|
|Tank size and set-upTank type (Prefered)|
Male to female ratio
|8.8 gallons (40 liters)Community Planted tankNano aquascape1male & 2 females or 1male and 3 females|
|Preferred plants||Dense vegetationFloating plants with small leaves|
|Compatibility||With non aggressive tank mates|
|Number of endler fish species found||4 billion hybrid versions|
|BreedingGestation periodNo.of eggs||Easy to breed (prolific breeders)About 30 daysUpto 40|
Why is endler fish care important?
Endlers are perfect cold water fish for home aquariums.They are playful,active and inquisitive fish.It is very important to give proper care to endlers because they are sensitive to temperature and pH fluctuations.
They have a very short lifespan, and are not easily available in pet shops.The most important thing is they are at the verge of extinction. So,if you are not maintaining them properly or not providing them proper care they may die off pretty soon.
How many endler fish should you start with as a newcomer?
Starting with a healthy fish is key to keeping your endlers healthy, so make sure to avoid endlers with lesions, abnormal growth, white spots or any other physical abnormalities to ensure that you are having a healthy endler.
These are schooling fish so you can start with 2-3 fish couples, as they are very active.
Habitat of endler fish
Endlers are native to campoma and kumana regions of Venezuela. They are found in shallow water near to shore,where the water current is slow.The wild population is under threat due to their habitat destruction.
Types of endler fish
Endlers used to come in black silver variety with little dots of color on it but are now modified into 4 billion hybrid versions.
Endlers classification on the basis of their genetic purity:
- n-class endler(orchid endlers) come from Venezuela (purest genetic form)
- p-class endler,pure form but the genetic origin is unknown.
- K-class(tiger yellow and paradise endlers)Hybrids/crossbreeds forms
Different strains or colors of endler fish
List of endlers color types:
- Sunburst cobra
- Red stripe
- Yellow tiger
- Snake chest
- White peacock
- Flame tail
General and physical attributes of endler fish
- Endlers have a unique color blocked pattern.
- Endlers are tiny fish about 1-1.8 inches in length
- Endler Females (1-1.2 inches) are larger than males (0.5-0.8 inches)
- Endler males are more colorful (fluorescent color) than females (silver or greyesh)
- Males are recognised by stick like appandage near their anal fin, gonopodium (anal fin modification for mating)
- Females can hold sperms for a month or so.
Endler fish lifespan
Average lifespan of endler fish is 2-3 years.Their genetic purity and the amount and type of care they are getting will decide their lifespan.
Females live shorter than males,due to frequent breeding.
Endler fish tank set-up
|Tank sizeLight intensitySubstrateWater parametersTemperatureTank plantsTank mates|
Tank size for endlers
- Endlers are tiny fish and dwell well in a nano aquascape.
- Endlers thrive well in community tanks.
- Size of the tanks should be about 8.8 gallons (40 liters)
- A 10 gallons tank can accommodate 2 females and 1 male endler and a 20 gallons tank can accommodate 9 endlers.
- Endlers are fast swimmers and are mainly found in the upper and middle region of the tank.
- Endlers are jumpers so provide a lid to your aquarium.They usually jump out of the aquarium when they are stressed and frightened.
Light intensity for endlers
Endlers need standard aquarium lights in their tanks.It is better to install a light timer in their tanks to regulate light and darks hours to maintain their circadian rhythm.Keep them away from direct sunlight and too much bright lights too.
Substrate for endlers
- Endlers are not so particular about their substrates.
- A soft sand substrate is preferred if you are interested in keeping a substrate in their tank.
- Substrates could be dark or light.
- A rough substrate may damage their barbels.so avoid using rough substrate in their tanks.
Water parameters for endlers
- Endlers prefer hard water in their tank.
- They don’t like high water currents.So keep the currents of water slow (lentic water), because fast currents might stress them.
- They are very very hardy fish and can live in almost any pH and water hardness.
- Optimum pH – 6.7-8.5 (neutral pH is best)- crushed corals and wonder shells can be used to maintain the tank pH.
- Water hardness- 9-25 dGH
- They prefer adequate filtration,sponge filters can be used.
- You can also use a hang-on back and canister filter to remove biological waste from their tanks.
Temperature for endlers
- Endler fish prefer warmer temperatures in their aquarium.
- Warmer water is necessary for their rapid growth.
- Optimum temperature – 64 F-84F (anything between this range is suitable for them to thrive in aquarium settings.
- They don’t need a heater if the temperature in your home is reasonable.
- Maintain a proper temperature for their metabolism.
- If the required temperature is not maintained then they might get stress and infectious disease.
Tank plants for endlers
- Tank plants provides good hiding space for endlers
- Thick plant with dense vegetation is important
- Floating plants with small leaves
- Live plants (hornworts and guppy grass,dwarf hygro)
- Artificial or fake plants
- Along with plants,you can add algae in their tank.
- Stemmed plants
Tank mates for endlers
Compatible tank mates:
- Barbs (rosy and cherry)
- Gourami (dwarf and honey)
- Tetra (glowlight, ember and emperor)
- Panda cory (bottom-dweller)
- Kuhli loach
- Harlequin rasbora
- Celestial pearl danio
- Shrimps (common and cherry,best tank mates as it helps in cleaning the uneaten food stuffs in the tank and keeps the tank clean)
- Bristlenose plecos (green dragon)
Tank mates to avoid:
- African and South American cichlids.
- Common guppy (interbreed)
- Common plecos
- Mollies (interbreed)
Endler fish diet and feeding requirements
It’s very easy to feed endlers.They can eat a variety of food.Try replicating their wild diet in the home aquariums and see how they grow well and quickly.
- High quality granulated food.
- Artificial food
- Vegetables from your kitchen (blanched zucchini and peas)
- Vegetable supplement (spirulina flake)
- Dry food (favorite)
- Baby brine shrimp
- Live and frozen maxillopods (most favorite-red mosquito larvae small daphnia,cyclops,bloodworm)
- Endler special blend flakes food is available in the market and it is specially designed for them.
Endler fish healthcare and health conditions
- Prone to bacterial and fungal infections and it could be due to a highly acidic environment or even due to unusual nitrates spikes.
- Overfeeding can lead to obesity.
- Parasitic disease (ich,skin flukes and worms)
- Fin rot or fin decaying disease.
- Endlers’ livebearers are extremely hardy schooling fish.
- They come in a wide variety of colors,are extremely robust and reproduce well.
- Undemanding,peaceful,harmless and sociable aquarium fish.
- All they need is proper aquascaping and a replica of their natural habitat for thriving well in the home aquariums.
- Endlers are facing the danger of extinction due to their habitat destruction.
- Considered as a great cold water fish.
- Great choice for both experienced and novice hobbyists.
Frequently asked questions on Endler fish
Can we keep endler fish alone in the aquarium?
Yes, we can keep male endler fish alone in a single aquarium.
How many endlers can be kept together in a tank?
Endlers prefer to live in bigger groups of 6 or more in a spacious tank and mainiating the male to female ratio in their tanks will keep the tank atmosphere peaceful.Always keep 3 females for every 1 male.
Are endlers fish aggressive in nature?
Endlers are hyperactive fish & female endler fish are more aggressive than male endler fish.
What are the common types of endlers hybrid known?
Lime green endlers,black bar endlers,cobra endlers,tiger endlers and EI silverado endlers.