We will talk about elephant ear betta fish care in this blog post.We will also discuss important factors such as their habitat, types, lifespan, tank set-up, water parameters and healthcare, etc.Everything you need to know about elephant ear betta fish care will be briefly discussed.
In this blog
- Key specifications of elephant ear betta fish
- Why is elephant ear betta fish care important?
- How many elephant ear betta fish should you start with as a newcomer?
- Habitat of elephant ear betta fish
- Types of elephant ear betta fish
- Different strains or colors of elephant ear betta fish
- General and physical attributes of elephant ear betta fish
- Elephant ear betta fish lifespan
- Elephant ear betta fish tank set-up
- Elephant ear betta fish diet and feeding requirements
- Elephant ear betta fish healthcare and health conditions
- Elephant ear betta fish daily care and Bi-weekly care tips
How to take care of Elephant ear fish?
Daily care tips for elephant ear betta fish
- Dumbo betta follow their own reflection in the tank,so wipe the tank glass to observe this behavior.
- Ammonia free environment should be maintained in the tank.
- Regular removal of aquarium debris and use of water conditioners will keep the water parameters stable.
- Keep their tank free of algaes and don’t use soaps to clean the tank.
- Avoid sharp plants, sharp decorative items and rough rock works in the tank.
- All the vital parameters should be maintained.
- Feeding timetable should be followed everyday to maintain a high nutritious diet.
Bi-weekly care tips for elephant ear betta fish
- 20-30 % water should be changed weekly once to keep them healthy.
- Gravels should be cleaned once a week.
- Freeze dried food,frozen food and live food should be given once a week.
- Live food should be quarantined for 2 weeks before feeding them to avoid various infectious microorganisms.
Key specifications of Elephant ear betta fish
|Name||Elephant ear betta fish (variety of Betta splendens)|
|Family||Osphronemidae (gourami family)|
|HabitatConservation status||Southeast asia Vulnerable|
|Diet||Insectivorous and carnivorous both|
|Body sizeBody shapeColorSpecial traitSexual dimorphism||2.5 inches in lengthStreamlined bodyVivid colourationFins like elephant earsYes|
|Another names||Dumbo betta fish|
|Optimum temperatureOptimum pHWater hardness||75F-82F7.0 (Neutral pH)2-12 dKH|
|TemperamentBeginner/ experienced||Aggressive Both levels|
|Tank size and set-upTank type (Prefered)||20 gallons minimumSolitary tank is better|
|Preferred plants/decorations||Minimum plantation and decorations is allowed in their aquarium|
|Compatibility||Depends,because they are aggressive in nature.|
|Number of elephant ear betta fish species found||Huge varieties|
|Breeding||Tank bredCaptive breeding|
Why is elephant ear betta fish care important?
Betta dumbos are considered as super stylish aquarium fish due to their enchanting personalities.They are famous for their long flowing pectoral fins, which very much look like elephant floppy ears.
They are hardy fish and do well in stable water parameters.Their long pectoral fins need extra care so, you need to keep some points in mind before adding them in your aquarium.
How many elephant ear betta fish should you start with as a newcomer?
As a newcomer you are advised to get either 1 male betta dumbo or two female betta dumbos in a 20 gallon tank.Prepare the tank before adding these guys in the aquarium.
Choose their tank mates wisely if planning to keep them in community tanks.They are aggressive and rarely get along well with other fish.
- Don’t keep male betta dumbos together,as they are very aggressive.
- You can keep female betta dumbos together,they are not aggressive like males and get along well with each other.
Habitat of elephant ear betta fish
- Native – Southeast asia
- Distribution – Thailand,Vietnam,Mekong delta
- Water type- Standing water
Types of elephant ear betta fish
- Betta dumbo halfmoon
- Lavender dumbo betta
- Red lavender dumbo betta and red dumbo betta
- Yellow opal dumbo betta
- Purple dumbo betta
- Blue rosetail dumbo betta
- Juvenile dumbo betta
- Turquoise magenta dumbo betta
- Betta dumbo white, gold,black
Different strains or colors of elephant ear betta fish
Elephant ears bettas have brilliant color variations that are more pronounced in aquarium betta dumbo, as opposed to the one found in wild habitats.
Color schemes in betta dumbo:
- Bright blue
- Platinum white
- Salamander coloration
Pattern scheme in betta dumbo:
- Full mask
- Butterfly pattern
- Solid color
- Dragon scale
- Marble pattern
General and physical attributes of elephant ear betta fish
- Betta dumbo size- 6.5 cm (fully grown)
- Pectoral fins are quite big like elephant ears, which help them during swimming expeditions.
Elephant ear betta fish lifespan
Dumbo betta have an average lifespan between 3-5 years and it all depends upon the genetics, environment in which they are living and the amount of care they are getting.
Elephant ear betta fish tank set-up
|Tank sizeLight intensitySubstrateWater parametersTemperatureTank plantsTank mates|
Tank size for elephant ear betta fish
- Size- 20 gallons,or even more is recommended.
- Minimum aquarium size- 5 gallons (for single betta dumbo)
- They need open space for swimming, so don’t overcrowd the tank by adding too many in a small sized tank.This can make them sick.
- Don’t suffocate the tank by keeping too many together in a small tank.This can seriously take a toll on their health.
Light intensity for elephant ear betta fish
- Subdued lighting.
- Indirect sunlight.
- Direct and continuous sunlight will increase the growth of algae in the tank,which can lead to ammonia pollution.
Substrate/Decoration for elephant ear betta fish
Elephant ear betta need minimal decoration, because they are themselves so attractive you don’t want any decorative items to block their beauty and suffocate the aquarium unnecessarily.
- Sandy substrate or gravel can be used.
- Bare bottom substrate can also go well with betta dumbo.
- Smooth rock works are recommended,because coarse rocks will tear their long flowing fins.
- Gravels should be cleaned once a week to avoid microbial contamination.
- They don’t need extraordinary decorative items in their tanks, simple is better.
- Pipes can be added as hiding space for them.
- Avoid using sharp objects in tanks,as it can damage their long flowing fins.
Water parameters for elephant ear betta fish
- Water movement in the tank should be slow like their natural habitat.
- Keep the tank free from ammonia and other organic pollutants.
- Tap water is an easy choice and the most popular choice for betta dumbo water.As Long as you prepare tap water correctly,you can use it.
- Ideal pH- 7.0, A neutral pH should be maintained.
- pH testing kits should be used to maintain the ideal pH.
- If the pH is not maintained properly, your betta dumbo will suffer from pH shock.
- Water hardness- 2-12 dKH
- They do well in filtered tanks with stable water parameters.
- Partial water changes should be done once a week.
Never do hundred percent water changes,because there are some beneficial bacterias too which are required for their growth.Total water change can stress them.
Temperature for elephant ear betta fish
- Ideal temperature- 75F-82F
- Heaters are required in colder regions and seasons.
- A thermometer is important to monitor the temperature everyday.
- If you are not maintaining the ideal temperature in aquarium settings, your fish will become sick and will die off eventually.
- A stable temperature is for their overall growth and metabolism.
Tank plants for elephant ear betta fish
Add tank plants only for two purposes, one is for aeration and other as hiding spots, where they can rest when they feel overwhelmed.
- Freshwater live plants (for aeration)
- Dry almond leaves
- Branches,add beauty and create a sense of security.
- Avoid sharp plants,as it can damage their beautiful pectoral fins.
- Keep the plants healthy and free from infections.
Tank mates for elephant ear betta fish
Dumbo bettas are aggressive,they even chase their own reflections in the tank and sometimes can be seen clawing the glass tank.
They are not community fish and it’s recommended to either keep them in a solitary tank or if you are interested to introduce them in a community tank then you need to choose their tank companions wisely.
Ideal tank mates for betta dumbo:
- Feeder guppies
- Mystery and zebra snails
- Ghost shrimps
- Clown plecos
- African dwarf frog
- White cloud mountain minnows
Elephant ear betta fish diet & feeding requirements:
Elephant ear bettas are insectivorous fish and can be trained to have a variety of food in aquarium settings.
High nutritious food,especially proteins and fibers is recommended for betta dumbo,because this will help in maintaining their finnage coloration and overall growth.
A proper feeding timetable should be followed for maintaining their bright colours.Feed them twice a day maintaining a gap of 10-12 hours between the meals.Overfeeding should not be done at any cost.
- Freeze dried food- Once a week
- Vegetables occasionally
- Frozen food- Once a week (always defrost frozen food before feeding them)
- Live food- Once a week (live food could be infectious,because we don’t know how it was handled and cared for, so it is recommended they should be quarantined at least for 15 days before feeding them)
- Pellets(betta bits brand) -They have small stomachs,so 4-5 small sized pellets,twice a day is more than enough for them.
Elephant ear betta fish healthcare and health conditions:
- Dumbo betta fin rot disease-Bacteria infection, due to poor water condition and bioload in the tank.
- Reddish fins due to rough rock works.
- Betta dumbo are very famous aquarium fish,and everyone wants to have them in their aquarium collection because of their large fins and vibrant colors.
- Betta dumbo don’t fit into community tanks because of their aggressive behavior.
- Rare to find in local pet stores.
- Caring for them is not a difficult task.
- Replicate their natural habitat in aquarium settings for better survival.
- Recommended for both beginner and experienced aquarists.
Frequently asked questions on elephant ear betta fish care
How to set up a tank for betta dumbo?
- Get an appropriate sized tank for dumbo betta
- Clean them without soaps or detergents
- install a filtration system
- Maintain the substrate
- Minimal to no decors
- Plant set-up
- Heaters are required in colder regions
- Ammonia free environment should be maintained
Are male betta dumbo aggressive?
Yes, male betta dumbo are more aggressive than females.avoid keeping male betta dumbo together.