We will talk about boesemani rainbow fish care in this blog post.We will also discuss important factors such as their habitat,types, lifespan,tank set-up, water parameters and healthcare,etc. Everything you need to know about boesemani rainbow fish care will be briefly discussed.
In this blog
- Key specifications of boesemani rainbow fish
- Why is boesemani rainbow fish care important?
- How many boesemani rainbow fish should you start with as a newcomer?
- Habitat of boesemani rainbow fish
- Types of boesemani rainbow fish
- Different strains or colors of boesemani rainbow fish
- General and physical attributes of boesemani rainbow fish
- Boesemani rainbow fish lifespan
- Boesemani rainbow fish tank set-up
- Boesemani rainbow fish diet and feeding requirements
- Boesemani rainbow fish healthcare and health conditions
- Boesemani rainbow fish daily care and Bi-weekly care tips
How to take care of Boesemani rainbow fish?
Daily care tips for boesemani rainbow fish
- Monitor water conditions daily.
- Water movements should not be too fast in the tank.
- Feed them twice a day.but never overfeed.
- Maintain all the vital parameters.
- Observe their colouration and swimming patterns because these can indicate their health issues.
- Feed regularly live/frozen food for maintaining body colouration.
- Check all the tank equipment to ensure they are working properly.
Bi-weekly care tips for boesemani rainbow fish
- 25%-30% partial water changes should be done twice a month.
- Use water testing kits once a week to maintain the water parameters.
- Live food should be quarantined for some weeks to avoid infections and health issues.
- Sick and unhealthy fish should be transferred to a separate hospital tank until they recover well.
- Clean all tank plants,sand, gravels and other decorative items once in 15 days without disturbing the beneficial bacteria on the gravels.
Key specifications of boesemani rainbow fish
|Scientific name||Melanotaenia boesemani|
|HabitatConservation status||Asia Endangered|
|Body sizeBody shapeColor|
Special traitSexual dimorphism
|3.9-4.5 inches in length (10cm)Flat and ovalOrange red back side and bluish-gray or purple on the front sideColor intensity adjustmentsYes, prominent during maturity.|
|Another names||boesemani rainbow fishBoeseman’s rainbow fish|
|Optimum temperatureOptimum pHWater hardness||72F-80F7.0-8.09-20dGH|
|TemperamentBeginner or experienced||Active,friendly and peacefulIdeal beginner fish|
|Care level||Easy to moderate|
|Tank size and set-upTank type (Prefered)||30 gallons or moreCommunity aquarium|
|Preferred plants/decorations||Heavy planted aquarium|
|Compatibility||Other rainbows and peaceful fish|
|Number of boesemani rainbow fish species found||No data available|
|Breeding||Difficult to breed in aquariums|
Why is boesemani rainbow fish care important?
Boesemani rainbow fish are moderately hardy fish and their care is super easy.They are social pets and enjoy shoaling together in groups with their own species.
Boesemani look more vibrant when kept in groups and display their beautiful color more prominently.They are susceptible to poor water conditions and when kept alone in tanks.
Boesemani don’t demand much apart from pristine water conditions ,company of other rainbow fish and stress free environment.
How many boesemani rainbow fish should you start with as a newcomer?
Boesemani rainbow fish do best in groups of 6-8 species of both genders.They are social fish and enjoy shoaling together with their own kinds.Colour intensity will be more prominent when they are in groups.Always keep more females than males in the aquarium.
Habitat of boesemani rainbow fish
- Type of fish- Tropical fish
- Natural habitat- Indonesia and New papua guinea
- Endemic to these Lakes- Akamaru,Hain,Atinjo
- Climate- Warm climate
- Vegetation type- Lush vegetation
- Found in shallow streams away from large predators
Types of boesemani rainbow fish
As such no data is found on the types of boesemani rainbow fish.
Different strains or colors of boesemani rainbow fish
Boesemani rainbow fish have an orange reddish back side and bluish-gray/purple head portion.They have a special trait of adjusting their color intensity.Colour intensity is more during night hours and when they are shoaling together in groups.
Color intensity = good health and good mood
General and physical attributes of boesemani rainbow fish
- Male boesemani rainbow fish are larger and more vibrant than females.
- Size of males- 4.5 inches in length
- Size of females- 3 inches in length
- Shape-Flat and oval
- They have smaller mouths and larger eyes
Boesemani rainbow fish lifespan
Boesemani rainbow fish can live upto 8 years in pristine water conditions and stress free environment.
Boesemani rainbow fish tank set-up
|Tank sizeLight intensitySubstrateWater parametersTemperatureTank plantsTank mates|
Tank size for boesemani rainbow fish
- Tank size- 30 gallons (110 liters)
- Group of six- 30 gallon tanks
- Boesemani rainbow spend their time in the middle levels of the tanks.
- Boesemani rainbow are active swimmers and need a spacious open area for swimming.
- Bigger and spacious tank size is better for the chance of survival.
- Avoid overcrowding the tank by adding too many in small sized tanks.This could stress them and reduce their lifespan.
- They are jumpers and can jump out of the tank if it is not covered with a hood or lid.
Light intensity for boesemani rainbow fish
A standard aquarium lighting will be sufficient for them.Make sure the lighting is not dimming their vibrant colours.Colour intensity is more during night hours and when they are shoaling together in groups.
Substrate/decoration for boesemani rainbow fish
Boesemani rainbow fish are not bottom dwellers so they don’t spend much time in the bottom and don’t care about the type of substrate in their aquarium.So it’s totally up to you.
Sandy substrate with smooth grains or gravels and sandy mixed can be used as substrate if required.Gravels will enhance the beneficial bacterias and keep the tank water parameters stable.
Boesemani don’t need heavy decorations too.All they need is lush vegetation & spacious swimming area in the tank to shoal peacefully and happily.
- Leaf litters
- Colorful smooth rock works
Water parameters for boesemani rainbow fish
- Boesemani rainbows are moderately hardy fish.
- Pristine water conditions is must for their good health
- Water movement inside the tank should be slow
- Nitrate levels should be very low
- Weak alkaline pH- 7.0-8.0 (sensitive to pH fluctuations)
- Water hardness- 9-20dGH
- Filter type- Powerhead filter,canister filter, hang on back filters
- Partial water changes will help in maintaining the pristine water conditions.
- It is advised to remove excess growth of algae from the tank.This can interfere with the water conditions.
- Monitor water conditions daily and use water testing kits once a week to check the water parameters.
Temperature for boesemani rainbow fish
Temperature plays a key role in maintaining the metabolism of your fish.Growth and development entirely depends on the right temperature in the tank.
If you are not maintaining the ideal temperature in aquarium settings, your fish will become sick and will die off eventually.
- Ideal temperature- 72F-80F
- Heaters are required in the tank
- A thermometer is important to monitor the temperature everyday.
Tank plants for boesemani rainbow fish
The Boesemani rainbow’s natural habitat is full of plants and covers, so mimic their natural habitat for their better survival.
If you are not adding live plants then you are advised to over-filter the tank or do more water changes than usual to maintain the pristine water conditions.Choose small leaf plants and arrange them around the perimeter of the tank by leaving open space in the middle for swimming.
Small leaf plants:
- Java moss
- Java ferns
- Star grass
Advantages of having a planted tanks are:
- Planted tanks are super low on nitrates
- Hiding spots acts as a protection and shelter for your pets,when they feel frightened.
Tank mates for boesemani rainbow fish
They do well with their own kind and tropical community fish.Never keep small fish along with rainbow fish, because they get stressed because of their large size and fast movements.
Suitable fish for rainbows:
- Other rainbow fish
- Some tetras
Shrimps- Always add adult shrimps first followed by baby shrimps
- Bamboo shrimp
- Ghost shrimp
- Vampire shrimp
- Amano shrimp
Avoid small freshwater shrimps as they may be viewed as prey :
- Caridina genera
- Neocaridina genera
Boesemani rainbow fish diet and feeding requirements:
Boesemani rainbows are supereasy to feed.They are omnivores and accept both plant matter and meaty food in their diets.They need to feed a protein rich diet to maintain their vibrant colourations.
Feed them twice a day a balanced and high proteinaceous diet.Rotate their diets for better results.
- Live/frozen food -Brine Shrimp,bloodworms,mosquito larvae and daphnia (best)
- Supplements -Tropical flakes,color flakes and spirulina flakes.
- Small sized plant matter diet.
- Carotenoids for color pigments.
Boesemani rainbow fish healthcare and health conditions
Boesemani rainbow fish pale colors would indicate sickness or illness due to poor water conditions.
Medicines are available for their treatment and if at all they are not getting cured,better see a doctor.But their health won’t deteriorate to this level of seriousness because of their ability to survive in different water conditions.
- Susceptible to columnaris disease- Due to bad water conditions
- Ich or white spot disease
- Ideal beginner fish.
- Very nice schooling shoaling fish,always keep them in groups to watch their beautiful colors.
- Hardy, adaptable and well mannered aquarium fish.
- Maintain vital parameters and replicate their natural habitat for better survival.
- Give them enough room for swimming to display their vibrant colors.
- It’s a bit expensive,but I would suggest you get them from the right breeders.In pet shops if you see them,they won’t look so vibrant and healthy.
Frequently asked questions on boesemani rainbow fish care
Are boesemani rainbow fish aggressive?
No,boesemani rainbow fish are not aggressive, they are peaceful, well mannered and social fish in nature.They enjoy shoaling in groups and display their vibrant beauties when they are in company of other rainbow fishes.
Are boesemani rainbow fish easy to care for?
Their care level is not difficult,they just need pristine water conditions,quality food to maintain their colors and need company of at least 6 others of their own kind to thrive well in aquarium settings.
How to know if your boesemani rainbow fish is not keeping well?
Boesemani rainbow fish are known for their color intensity adjustments.They have beautiful colouration which makes them attractive and a treat to watch for aquarium fish keepers.When boesemani rainbow fish is sick they turn pale and look dull. Their pale color is a sign of bad health and bad mood.