We will talk about baby betta fish care in this blog post.We will also discuss important factors such as their habitat, types,lifespan,tank set-up, water parameters and healthcare, etc.Everything you need to know about baby betta fish care will be briefly discussed.
In this blog
- Key specifications of baby betta fish
- Why is baby betta fish care important?
- How many baby betta fish should you start with as a newcomer?
- Habitat of baby betta fish
- Types of baby betta fish
- Different strains or colors of baby betta fish
- General and physical attributes of baby betta fish
- Baby betta fish lifespan
- Baby betta fish tank set-up
- Baby betta fish diet and feeding requirements
- Baby betta fish healthcare and health conditions
- Baby betta fish daily care and Bi-weekly care tips
How to take care of Baby betta fish?
Daily care tips for baby betta fish
- Maintain a feeding timetable to feed them.Rotate their diets for better results.
- Feed them small amounts several times a day.They can be hand fed or through eye droppers.
- Avoid overfeeding,as they are prone to digestive problems.
- Remove leftovers to avoid ammonia pollution in tanks.
- Monitor tank water daily and maintain pristine water conditions. Cloudy water indicates ammonia pollution.
- Vital parameters should be checked.
- Make sure all the tank equipment is working properly.
- Keep them away from noisy places.
Bi-weekly care tips for baby betta fish
- Frequent water changes will keep them healthy.
- Change 20-25 % water twice a week.
- You can change the tank water completely thrice a month.
- Don’t give live food directly, better quarantine the live food for 15-20 days before offering them.
- Measure water pH thrice a week to ensure stable pH.
Key specifications of baby betta fish
|Name Scientific name||Baby bettaBetta splendens|
|FreshwaterSoutheast AsiaNational aquatic animal of thailandVulnerable|
|Body sizeBody shapeColorSpecial trait/organSexual dimorphism||2-3 inches in lengthStreamlined bodyVivid colorsLabyrinth bladderMaturity stage|
|Another names||Siamese fighting fishFighter fishRumble fish (Popular culture)|
|Optimum temperatureOptimum pH||76F-84F7.0-7.2 for betta fry|
|TemperamentBeginner / experienced||Slightly AggressiveExpert in handling baby betta fish|
|Care level||Moderate to difficult|
|Tank size and set-upTank type (Prefered)||1 gallons per baby bettaSolo Planted tanks|
|Preferred plants/decorations||Live plants|
|Compatibility||Solitary tank until adulthood|
|Number of baby betta fish species found||73 plus betta species|
|BreedingNo. of eggs||Bubble nest60-300 fries every spawning|
Why is baby betta fish care important?
Baby bettas are very delicate and need special care and attention than adult bettas.This is a critical stage that will decide how they grow as an adult.They will die off easily,if they are not cared for properly.
How many baby betta fish should you start with as a newcomer?
As a newcomer you can start with 2 baby bettas, but make sure you are not getting only males.You can get 2 female baby bettas and 1 male baby betta or two female baby bettas.
Male bettas become territorial and start fighting with each other for space and resources.Females are occasionally aggressive but they can co-exist together.
Initially keep them in separate tanks.Baby bettas will be around six to seven months old when offered for sale in pet shops.
In my opinion don’t purchase them from pet stores,try to get them from right breeders who are aware of their genetics and breeding.
Habitat of baby betta fish
- Natural habitat – Southeast Asia
- Aquarium settings – Captive breeding
Types of baby betta fish
Baby bettas produced through captive breeding are:
- Marble betta
- Koi betta
- Dragon scale betta
- Butterfly betta
Baby bettas types on the basis of their tails:
- Double tail
- Super delta
- Rose tail
- Comb tail
- Veil tail
- Crown tail
- Spade tail
- Round tail
- Halfmoon plakat
Different strains or colors of baby betta fish
Baby bettas have a natural colouration of green,gray and brown, whereas captive ones are known for their different colours.Male baby bettas are more colorful than female baby bettas.
The different strains are :
- Black orchid
- mustard gas
- chocolate colored
General and physical attributes of Baby betta fish
- Size of baby bettas- They begin as tiny eggs of size 0.03 inches in diameter,and grow 1.9 inches long within 11 weeks.They reach maturity by 7th months and grow upto 3-4 inches in length.
- They have beautiful flowing fins which makes them very attractive.
- Male baby bettas have bigger and attractive fins than females.
- Wild bettas have short fins whereas bettas produced through captive breeding are known for large and flowing fins.
- Baby bettas have a streamlined body with scales on it.
- Bettas can resist low oxygen levels due to their special organ called the Labyrinth bladder.
Baby betta fish lifespan
Longevity depends upon the environment you are keeping them right from their bubble nests (full of eggs) by maintaining a clean, moist and oxygenated environment.
They thrive well in clean tanks, the type of diet you are giving them and the amount of care you are providing them from egg stage to maturity stage.
Baby betta fish tank set-up
|Tank sizeLight intensitySubstrate/decorationWater parametersTemperatureTank plantsTank mates|
Tank size for baby betta fish
- Prepare a separate tank and keep baby bettas in fully cycled tanks only because they have poor immune systems at this age.
- Tank size- One baby betta in 1 gallons tank (minimum size)
- Initially keep them alone in a 1 gallons tank and give a stress free environment.
- Max tank size- 2.5 gallons
- Tank shape- Circular shaped tanks are better for baby bettas.
- Place the tank in a peaceful area,as baby bettas get stressed due to lots of noises.
- Cover the tank with a hood by leaving an inch gap on the surface.
Light intensity for baby betta fish
Artificial lighting like LED bulbs/aquarium lighting
- Mild sunlight
Substrate/Decoration for baby betta fish
Baby bettas don’t need substrates like adult bettas, because they spend their time in the middle and upper regions of the tank.
If you want you can add small gravels or fine sand grains or mixtures of both will also work.It is totally up to you as they don’t interact with the bottom surface.
Avoid using large rock works,because they might get trapped in them and die.Avoid sharp and edgy decors in the tank, this can hurt their beautiful flowing tails.Clean all decors before adding them to the aquarium.
Water parameters for baby betta fish
- Baby bettas need clean,calm and dechlorinated water for their growth.
- Filtration system-Sponge filters,they provide mechanical filtration without hurting baby bettas.
- Don’t use power filters or strong currents filters because these filters might hurt them or even get sucked up in such strong filters.
- Baby bettas tend to eat a lot so they require frequent water changes.And you really don’t need a filter,if water is getting changed frequently.
- Water changes should be done twice a week and siphon the dirty water from the bottom using vacuum and replace that with dechlorinated water at the similar temperatures.
- Keep ammonia and nitrate levels below 0.2, if it goes upto 1 then it indicates ammonia pollution.
Temperature for baby betta fish
Temperature plays a key role in the aquarium settings, as it is responsible for the fish metabolism.Maintaining the stable temperature in the aquarium environment will keep your bettas active and healthy.
A sudden drop or increase in the temperature could make them inactive and weak. Already baby bettas have weak immune systems, so kindly maintain stable temperatures for their survival.
- Baby bettas need properly heated water/warm water.
- Their digestive system will not function properly and they won’t be able to eat nutritious food unless their temperature is within the range,i.e ideal temperature – 76F-84F.
- Lower temperatures can affect their health.
- Temperature fluctuations can have negative impacts on their health.
- They need small adjustable heaters in their tanks as they cannot thrive well in extreme cold or hot temperatures.
Tank plants for baby betta fish
- Almond leaves for maintaining the pH
- Live plants- for oxygenation and hiding
- Silk plants – hiding spots
Tank mates for baby betta fish
Baby bettas should not be kept with tank mates at this tender age.Keeping them with tank mates can stress them and can reduce their lifespan.keep them alone until they reach adulthood.
Baby betta fish diet and feeding requirements
Baby bettas accept a diverse variety of food and a mixture of live food and plenty of protein diets will keep them healthy.
Feed them smaller amounts several times a day but make sure you are not overfeeding them,it can hurt their digestive system.In case of betta fry start feeding them once they start swimming.
They can be hand fed or with the help of eye droppers.
- Infusoria,a liquid based food for betta fry.It can be given in small amounts several times a day.It is commercially available.
- Finely crushed miniature pellets
- Live food/freeze dried food/frozen food- blackworms,grindal worms, freeze dried tubifex worms, white worms, and frozen brine shrimp.
- Live and frozen food should be given after 4-5 weeks to betta frys
- Repashy gel food
- Vinegar eels
- Brine shrimp- It should be given one week after hatching.
- Grindal worms-It should be given four-five weeks after hatching.
Baby betta fish healthcare and health conditions
- Swim bladder disease due to overfeeding
- Skin diseases due to cooler temperatures.
- Ich infection
- Tail rot and fin rot
- Baby bettas need utmost care right from the bubble nest stage till maturity.Their care is a bit more difficult than caring for an adult betta fish.
- Keep baby bettas alone until they reach adulthood.
- Pick them from breeders who are aware of their genetics.
- Maintain all the vital parameters for their rapid growth.
- They thrive well in a stress free environment.
- Recommended for fish keepers who are expert in handling baby bettas.
Frequently asked questions on baby betta fish care
Can we keep baby bettas together in a single tank?
It is advisable not to keep baby bettas together initially at least till 7 months, because they are prone to stress and it can interfere with their longevity.
They are very delicate fish and need their own space. Don’t keep them with their own kinds or other fish of the same temperament until they are ready to shift in a community tank.They need a stress free environment for their growth.
What all factors can stress baby bettas?
The factors that can easily stress baby bettas are:
- Poor water conditions
- Overcrowded aquarium
- Improper feeding timetable