We will talk about female betta fish fish care in this blog post.We will also discuss important factors such as their habitat, types,lifespan,tank set-up, water parameters and healthcare, etc.Everything you need to know about female betta fish fish care will be briefly discussed.
|In this blog post we will discuss|
Key specifications of female betta fishWhy is female betta fish care important?How many female betta fish should you start with as a newcomer?Habitat of female betta fishTypes of female betta fishDifferent strains or colours of female betta fishGeneral and physical attributes of female betta fishFemale betta fish lifespanFemale betta fish tank set-upFemale betta fish diet and feeding requirementsFemale betta fish healthcare and health conditionsFemale betta fish daily care and Bi-weekly care tipsSummary
Key specifications of female betta fish
|Genus Scientific name Name||BettaBetta splendensFemale betta fish|
|FreshwaterSoutheast AsiaNational aquatic animal of thailandVulnerable|
|Body sizeBody shapeColourSpecial trait||2-2.5 inches in lengthLean and slender bodyVivid colours like male bettasLabyrinth bladder|
|Another names||Rumble fish (Popular culture)Siamese fighting fishFighter fishLabyrinth fish|
|Optimum temperatureOptimum pHWater hardness||75F-80F6.8-7.0Prefers soft water conditions|
Beginner or experienced
|Occasionally aggressiveLess aggressive than malesGood beginner fish|
|Care level||Easy to moderate|
|Tank size and set-upTank type (Prefered)||10 gallons Heavy planted tanks|
|Preferred plants/decorations||Live plants and with lots of hiding spots|
|Compatibility||Other peaceful shoaling species|
|Number of female betta fish species found||73 plus overall betta species|
|BreedingIdentificationParental care||Captive breedingEgg spot on their bodyFemale bettas don’t show parental care,they sometimes eat their own eggs.Separate them after hatching in a separate tank.|
Why is female betta fish care important?
Female bettas like other bettas are very attractive and they like in groups of 4-6 bettas together.To keep them healthy, give space to each female bettas , maintain pristine water conditions and give highly quality food to maintain their long flowing fins.Their care is very important because they live in groups in a community tanks and are susceptible to various kind of freshwater infections.To avoid such scenarios put them in a spacious aquarium and maintain the vital parameters which is very essential for their survival in aquarium settings.
How many female betta fish should you start with as a newcomer?
Multiple female bettas (4-6 female bettas) can be kept together in a spacious community aquarium, because they are not that aggressive like male bettas and mind their own business in their own space.Also get them from right breeders who are aware of their genetics and breeding.
Habitat of female betta fish
Natural habitat- Southeast Asia
Distribution- Cambodia,Vietnam and Laos
Type of climate-Tropical climates
Waterflow- Found where the rate is fairly slow.
Bettas are considered as the national aquatic animal of thailand.
Types of female betta fish
There is no such data available on numbers of female betta species yet.There are 73 plus varieties of betta species found overall .
Different strains or colours of female betta fish
Female betta fish are green,grey and brown in the wild,whereas captive bettas are known for their vivid colours.
General and physical attributes of female betta fish
- Female bettas are smaller in size than male bettas
- Size of female bettas – 2.25 inches in length
- Dorsal and anal fins are smaller than males
- Tail fins are thinner than males
- They are recognised by the egg spots (ovipositor tube) in the lower region between their tail and fin.
- Female bettas get darker during breeding season
Female betta fish lifespan
Female betta fish can live upto 3 years if they are getting a protein rich diet,pristine water conditions and proper oxygenation and aeration.
Female betta fish tank set-up-
|Tank sizeLight intensitySubstrateWater parametersTemperatureTank plantsTank mates|
- Prepare the tank a day before adding female bettas
- Add them in a fully cycled tank,because they prefer clean water.
- Tank size for a single female betta- 10 gallons
- Tank size for additional female betta- 5 gallons extra
- Tank size for 2-4 female bettas- 29 gallons (ideal size for betta community.
- Tank shape- Tall and narrow shaped
- Female bettas like other bettas usually spend most of their time in the upper and middle regions of the tank.
- Each female bettas need their own personal space in the tank.
- They can jump out of the tanks so it is advisable to cover the tank by leaving a few inches for them to breathe with a lid or a hood.
|Natural and artificial light like LEd bulbs goes well with the bettas tank.They need enough light during day time and dimness during night time.If you are keeping live plants then they need indirect sunlight for some time for their maintenance.Don’t expose them to direct sunlight, as it could increase algal growth in the tank especially during summers.|
- Substrate doesn’t really matter in female bettas tanks because they don’t interact with the bottom that much.Fine sand or gravel can be used as substrate.Gravels help in producing beneficial bacterias which keeps the tank water conditions stable.
- Smooth rock works,driftwood or malaysian wood and caves will help them to conceal themselves when they feel threatened.
- Don’t use sharp edged decorative items to decorate the aquarium as it can damage their long flowing beautiful fins.
- Female betta are slow swimmers.
- Female betta fish prefer warm water and slow water current in their tank.They need pristine water conditions for their survival.
- They can survive in low oxygen levels.If you see them gulping air on the surface,then it indicates poor water conditions.
- Low flow filtration system is needed to maintain pristine water conditions.Community tanks require multistage filters to maintain the water conditions.
- Use water conditioners to eliminate chlorine and chloramine from the tank.
- Water testing kits can be used to know water conditions.
- Ideal temperature- 75F-80F
- Ideal breeding temperature- 80F
- Female betta fish need water heaters to maintain ideal water temperatures.
- Lower temperatures could be risky for them.it will directly affect their health and make them sick.
- Live plants – naturally oxygenate the water,provide shelter to female bettas when they feel threatened.
- Indian almond leaves
- Artificial plants
- Don’t block the tank surface with plants, as they use the surface for breathing, breeding and feeding.
|Suitable tank mates for female bettas:|
White cloud mountain minnowsZebra daniosBlue gouramis and paradise fishNeon tetrasPictus catfishAfrican dwarf frogRosy barbsBottom dwellers
|Tank mates which are not suitable for female bettas:|
GoldfishFinnippers and territorial ones
Female betta fish diet and feeding requirements
Feed them small portions twice a day on normal days and feed them live food 2-4 times a day during breeding period.Avoid overfeeding, because they have small stomachs and excessive feeding can cause digestive problems like bloating.
|Live foodProtein enriched floating pellets (avoid sinking pellets)Frozen or dried brine shrimp and frozen bloodworms (small pieces)Daphnia eggsSmall insects and Insect larvae|
Female betta fish healthcare and health conditions
|White spot disease or Ich- Parasitic infection Cotton fin fungus infection- cotton patches on bodyTail and fin rot (very common)-Bacterial infection,due to poor water conditions.Exophthalmia or Popeye disease (very common)Bloating – Due to overfeedingSwim bladder diseaseVelvet disease- due to tank decor items they get infected if their fins get rubbed on it.|
Female betta fish daily care and Bi-weekly care tips
|Daily care tips||Bi-weekly care tips|
|Water should be monitored daily.Tank glass should be wiped daily and the tank should be covered with a lid without fail, because they can jump out of the tank when they feel threatened.Algae should be wiped to avoid tank pollution.Vital parameters like temperature, ph, water hardness should be maintained for their survival.Feed them small amounts twice a day.Don’t overfeed Rotate diets for better results.Uneaten food should be removed everyday, otherwise they will settle down in the bottom and can increase ammonia levels in the tank.Make sure all the tank accessories are in working conditions.Replace them if they are no longer working properly.Observe their swimming pattern and feeding behaviour.If they are not well they will stop eating and show unusual swimming patterns.||Water changes should be done a few times a week or twice a month.You should change 10-50 % water 2-3 times a week for a 10 gallons tank without filters.Change 10-30 % water in a small sized tank with a filter once a week or twice a month to maintain the pristine conditions.Change 10-30% water once or twice a month in bigger tanks with filters.Use water testing kits weekly once to know the water conditions.If you are giving them live food then please quarantine the live food for two to three weeks to avoid infections.Quarantine sick fish until they recover in a separate tank.Clean the decors and other tank equipment religiously to avoid infections.Do not use detergents or soap to wash the tank as it can be toxic to your fish.Filters should be washed according to the manual once a month or if the bioload is more than twice a month.|
- Female bettas can be kept together in a community tank with females of their own kind.
- Female bettas are not aggressive like male bettas and can co-exist with other fish of same temperament and bottom dwellers.
- They need pristine water conditions and low water currents mandatorily for their survival.
- Don’t keep too many males in a tank with female bettas, they harass them for mating and this can stress female bettas.
- Maintain vital parameters, remove excess algal growth, religiously change water weekly or monthly to avoid infections or health issues.
- Recommended for both beginners and experienced fishkeepers.
Frequently asked questions on female betta fish care
Are female bettas territorial?
Female bettas are not aggressive like male bettas.They coexist with other female bettas and show occasional aggression to establish dominance.
What are the reasons that may upset or disturb female bettas?
Things which may upset or disturb female bettas are:
- Poor quality water conditions
- Temperature fluctuations
- Overcrowded tanks
- More number of male bettas,as they harass them for mating
- Less hiding spots
- Fast water currents
Do female bettas display parental care?
No, female bettas don’t display parental care.Male bettas look after the eggs.