In this article we will discuss harlequin rasbora and betta fish.We will also discuss their relationship and other tank parameters which are suitable for them to survive together in aquarium settings.
In this blog
- Can harlequins and betta live in the same aquariums?
- Key specifications of harlequin rasboras and bettas
- Where are harlequin rasboras and bettas found?
- How long do harlequin rasbora and betta live?
- What tank size do harlequins and betta need?
- Are harlequin rasbora and betta aggressive in nature?
- What do harlequin rasbora and betta eat?
- Are water parameters the same for harlequins & betta in aquarium conditions?
- Do harlequin rasboras & bettas need the same aquarium plants in their tanks?
- Do harlequin rasboras and bettas need the same light intensity in their tanks?
- Do harlequin rasboras and bettas need similar substrates in their tank?
- Is it easy to care for harlequins and betta togethers in the same aquariums?
- Are harlequins and betta both perfect community fish?
- Are harlequins and betta beginner friendly or for experienced aquarists?
- Frequently asked questions
Can harlequins and betta live in the same aquariums?
Harlequin rasboras and bettas can coexist with each other in a similar tank.
Harlequin rasboras and bettas both thrive in similar conditions, have almost similar diets and other tank requirements and these conditions make them excellent tank mates for each other.
Key specifications of harlequins and betta fish
|Key specifications||Harlequins rasboras||Betta fish|
|Trigonostigma heteromorphaBlack harlequin rasboraBlue harlequin rasboraGold harlequin rasbora|
|Betta splendensDragon scale bettaButterfly bettaMarble bettaKoi bettadumbo bettaDifferent tailed bettasOsphronemidae|
|Temperament||Peaceful||Territorial and Aggressive|
Where are harlequin rasboras and bettas found?
Both harlequins and bettas come from asian regions.Harlequin rasboras are native to Asia and are found in the freshwaters (acidic black water) of Thailand, Singapore and Malaysia.
Whereas bettas are native to tropical climates of Southeast Asia where the waterflow is fairly slow.
How long do harlequin rasbora and betta live?
Harlequin rasboras can live between 5-8 years and bettas can live between 3-4 years in well maintained tanks.Bettas don’t live very long due to poor genetics.
What tank size do harlequins and betta need?
Tank size is directly proportional to their activity.If the tanks size is ideal it will help both harlequins and bettas to grow naturally and attain a great body size when they fully mature.Overcrowded tanks will suffocate and hinder their natural growth.
Harlequins rasboras- Harlequins need a minimum tank size of 10 gallons and an additional tank size will be 2 rasboras per gallon.
If they are kept in a community tank then 20-30 gallons would be perfect as it provides lots of swimming and hiding space to feel safe and secure when overwhelmed.Harlequin rasboras shoal together in the middle layer of the tank
Betta fish- Bettas need a minimum 3 gallons water tank and an additional tank size for each fully grown bettas is 1 gallons.They also do well in spacious tanks.
Both harlequins and bettas are jumpers and can leap out of their tanks when threatened.So it’s very important to cover their tanks with a hood or lids to avoid such situations.
Are harlequin rasbora & betta aggressive in nature?
Harlequin rasbora- Harlequins are not aggressive,but are known for their fin nipping behavior.
Males show occasional aggression which is normal.Female harlequins are very peaceful and can co-exist with any species easily.
Betta fish-Bettas are very aggressive in nature and are known as fighting fish for their behavior.
Male bettas are especially very aggressive in nature and can kill other male betta while fighting during breeding season.
Female bettas are less aggressive than male bettas and can co-exist with other tank mates.
What do harlequin rasbora and betta eat?
Both Harlequin and bettas are not picky eaters and will happily accept whatever you feed them.
They both need lots of protein in their diet to remain healthy. Overfeeding should not be entertained in both the cases as it leads to ammonia pollution and stomach related issues.
Harlequin rasboras are omnivorous fish and accept wide varieties of food.They have a small mouth so they should be fed small size food.Lots of protein in their diets will keep them healthy.
Food preference for harlequin:
- Commercial food like micro pellets and flakes
- Live and frozen food such as insect larva, daphnia, bloodworms and baby shrimps
- Plant based food-They can be trained to eat fresh vegetables too.
Bettas are carnivorous fish and require lots of protein in their diets.They should be fed once or twice a day.
Food preference for bettas:
- Protein enriched floating pellets
- Frozen or dried brine shrimp
- Frozen Bloodworms (small pieces)
- Small insects
Are water parameters the same for harlequins and betta in aquarium conditions?
Harlequin rasbora water parameters:
- Water pH-6.0-7.8 (softer more acidic water)
- Water hardness-2-15 dGH
- Ideal temperature – 72F-81F
- Breeding temperature- 82.4F
- Water movement–slow water currents
Bettas water parameters:
- Water pH-6.8-7 (almost neutral)
- Water hardness-Prefers soft water
- Ideal temperature-75F-80F
- Breeding temperature-75F
- Water movement-calm water
Both harlequins and bettas prefer almost the same water conditions and they can make great tank mates for each other.
Do harlequins and bettas need the same aquarium plants in their tanks?
Aquarium plants for harlequin:
- Dense live plants with broader leaves
- Cryptocoryne species
- Aponogeton species
- Arrangement of longer plants should be in the sides of the aquarium by leaving open space for swimming.
Aquarium plants for bettas:
- Live and overhanging plants
- Waterthymes or Hydrilla
- Indian almond leaves
- Fake plants
Aquarium plants preference is slightly different for both the cases.So when you are keeping them together,try to add common plants which goes well with both of them.
Do harlequins & bettas need the same light intensity in their tanks?
Harlequin rasboras-They don’t require bright lighting in their aquarium, because it might stress them out.
A standard aquarium light will be sufficient for them.They need indirect sunlight for maintenance of live plants for a few hours a day.
Betta fish-They are ok with both natural and artificial light in their tank and need sufficient light during day time and proper dimness during night time.Exposing them to direct sunlight,could increase algal growth in the tank.
Lighting preference is more or less similar for both harlequin and bettas tank.So you can adjust lighting according to their preferences.
Do harlequins and bettas need similar substrates in their tank?
Substrate for harlequins- Harlequins are middle level dwellers,and they rarely go to the bottom of the tank.So substrate is not an important factor in their tanks.
Substrate for bettas-Like harlequins Substrate doesn’t really matter in bettas tanks as they don’t interact with the bottom that much.
Both harlequins and bettas don’t require substrate in their tanks.
Is it easy to care for harlequins and betta togethers in the same aquariums?
Both harlequins and bettas are easy to care for and have more or less similar requirements for them to thrive in aquarium settings.So it won’t be tough to handle both of them together in a similar aquarium.
Are harlequins and bettas both perfect community fish?
Harlequin rasboras are very peaceful in nature and get along well in community tanks,whereas bettas are not social and are aggressive in nature.
It would be difficult to keep bettas in a community tank and choosing their tank mates wisely is very important.
Are harlequins and bettas beginner friendly or for experienced aquarists?
Both harlequins and bettas make a perfect beginner fish because they are easy to care for ,don’t need extra ordinary tank set-ups and have similar preferences when they are kept together.
- Harlequins and bettas are native to Asia.
- Harlequins and bettas prefer almost the same water conditions.
- Both harlequins and bettas are jumpers and can leap out of their tanks when threatened. A proper hood is required in both their tanks.
- Both harlequin and bettas are not picky eaters and will happily accept whatever you feed them.
- Both harlequins and bettas do well in spacious tanks.
- Lighting preference is more or less similar.
- Aquarium plant preference is slightly different.
- Harlequins and bettas don’t require substrate.
- Harlequins are peaceful whereas bettas are aggressive in nature.
- Harlequin Rasboras and bettas can coexist due to similar tank requirements.
- Both are perfect beginner fish.
Frequently asked questions
Do harlequins and bettas get similar infections?
Harlequins are susceptible to ich, fin-rot ,dropsy,ammonia poisoning, slime disease,gill parasite and hole in the head whereas bettas are susceptible to popeye disease,cotton fin fungus & white spot disease like harlequins.
How frequently do harlequins and bettas require water changes in their tanks?
Both harlequins and bettas require 20-25 % water changes weekly once.
Do harlequins and bettas have similar tank mates?
Harlequins tank mates include other rasboras,cardinal tetras,bettas, assorted small barbs and otocinclus.Whereas bettas tank mates include,african dwarf frog and pictus.
Common tank mates include-danios,neon tetras,dwarf gouramis and cory catfish
Are decors’ preferences similar for harlequin and bettas?
Decors are not so important in harlequins and bettas tanks, it’s totally up to the owners how they want to decorate their tanks.Live rocks and driftwood can be added to their tanks to make it look beautiful.
They both are delicate in terms of their fins, so avoid keeping sharp edgy decorative items in their aquariums and never forget to clean the decors as it harbors bacteria which can cause infection in them.