Can Chihuahuas eat grapes? (5+ tips)

In this blog post, we discuss whether Chihuahuas can eat grapes and other types of fruit, or if it is best to avoid them altogether. We will discuss the risks and complications of grape toxicity and what to do if your Chihuahua ate grapes. 

Can chihuahuas eat grapes?

Chihuahuas should never eat grapes. All types of grapes, whether fresh, dried, or peeled, 

are considered toxic and highly contraindicated for dogs. It is not yet known for sure what the cause of this reaction is, nor why some dogs experience more severe symptoms than others.

Unfortunately, grape toxicity can sometimes be fatal. A dog that eats the fruit can suffer from poisoning and therefore a high risk of developing sudden and acute kidney failure. This can happen in any dog, no matter their age or breed.

Researchers have not been able to confirm which substance(s) present in grapes have poisonous action in dogs, on the one hand, there are those who suspect a mycotoxin (a toxic substance produced by a fungus or mold), and on the other, those who say the toxicity is caused by a type of salicylate (similar to acetylsalicylic acid or aspirin) that is naturally found in grapes. This compound appears to cause a decrease in blood flow to the kidneys.

But the truth is that, to date, none of those theories have been confirmed.

How much grape is considered dangerous for a Chihuahua?

Some people are used to giving a few grapes to the dog as a gift or reward, but that is an act totally discouraged. Several studies have observed that the toxicity of grapes and raisins is an effect that depends largely on the size of the dog and the dose ingested.

In other words, a large dog may not experience immediate or severe symptoms after eating 2-3 grapes, while a small dog may develop severe symptoms after eating just one.

How many grapes are toxic to a dog?

The following general rule of thumb helps determine what could be a dangerous grape serving …

10-pound dog: 1 or 2 grapes

20 pounds or more: 3 or 4 grapes

How many raisins are toxic to a dog?

10-pound dog: 0.7 ounces raisins

20-pound dog: 1.4 ounces raisins

30-pound dog: 2.1 ounces raisins

40 pounds or more: 2.8 ounces raisins

The amounts mentioned above are approximate. The effect of a particular serving can vary depending on the dog. In general, the safest thing is not to give them grapes.

Grapes and raisins should never be served as a treat. The amount of 1 or 2 grapes may seem totally harmless, but the reality is that it is enough to cause serious symptoms, or worse, death.

Likewise, it is important not to leave them within reach of your dog. Your pet may be tempted to try them simply because they are seeing them.

What are the symptoms of grape toxicity in dogs?

A dog intoxicated by ingestion of 1 or more grapes/raisins may present any of the following 3 unusual signs and symptoms:

  • Decreased or total loss of appetite
  • Lethargy, weakness, extreme tranquility
  • Vomiting and/or diarrhea (a few hours after ingestion)
  • Abdominal pain (tender to the touch)
  • Dehydration (dry mouth and nose, panting, pale gums)
  • Increased thirst and urination
  • Decreased or absent urine output.

Risks and complications: what can happen if a dog eats grapes?

In addition to these symptoms, the dog can experience serious adverse effects, such as kidney failure, a complication that often leads to death. This is especially true if the pet does not receive any type of treatment.

As reported in this WebMD post, one of the first clinical signs of canine kidney failure is increased water consumption and urination. Once most of the kidney tissue has been damaged, there is a sudden increase in waste products that circulate through the bloodstream.

In more advanced renal failure, the dog begins to show loss of appetite, depression, vomiting, diarrhea, and very bad breath. Occasionally, mouth ulcers can be seen.

What to do if my dog has eaten grapes?

Grape ingestion in dogs should be addressed immediately. In these cases, prompt treatment is considered critical to avoid long-term complications. The recommendation is to contact the veterinarian as soon as possible, who will surely indicate to induce the dog to vomit.

It is not recommended to induce vomiting if the dog is having difficulty breathing, showing signs of distress, is unconscious, or if you are not sure what the animal has eaten.

Specifically in the vet’s office, the same procedure is usually followed. Vomiting is usually started by inducing the fruit to remove the fruit from the dog’s system, followed by a dose of activated charcoal.

After this, there is no special antidote to treat grape or raisin poisoning. The veterinarian can start a support plan to strengthen kidney function, administering fluids and medications intravenously for 48 hours.

It is also common for blood, urine, and ultrasound tests to be performed to monitor the pet’s health status.

Helpful tips: how to prevent your Chihuahua from eating grapes?

Taking the following steps at home can help prevent your dog from getting poisoned from eating grapes or raisins:

  1. Avoid leaving grapes and raisins on open counters or pantries where the dog can reach them.
  2. If you have children, be sure to explain the importance of not giving your pet grapes, as well as not leaving any fallen grapes on the ground.
  3. If you are hosting a dinner party and plan to serve grapes, remind everyone not to feed them to the dog.
  4. Read the label on any treats that are not specially designed for canine consumption. Check the ingredient list for grapes, raisins, or other harmful foods.
  5. Never offer grapes or raisins to a dog. Although just 1-2 grapes may seem harmless, it is enough to cause symptoms of poisoning.

Are there other foods that dogs cannot eat?

Are there other forbidden fruits for dogs? Can they eat cherries or tangerines? The truth is that it is better to avoid them. There are several forbidden foods for dogs that it is advisable not to offer, such as onion, chocolate, or macadamia nuts. Although in some cases they do not cause death or serious pathologies, they can cause diarrhea and discomfort.

Vegetables and fruits that are good for dogs

Now that you know the foods that you should never offer your dog, it is time to discover new ingredients that you can add to Its diet. There are several vegetables and fruits recommended for dogs, although for daily consumption you should always bet on vegetables since fruits contain a lot of sugar.

Among all the fruits and vegetables we can highlight the sweet potato, the cooked potatoes, the pumpkin, or the carrot, popular for its many benefits and uses. On the other hand, apple, melon, or watermelon are very healthy and will help you hydrate in the hottest times.

Ultimately, can my Chihuahua eat grapes?

Many people do not know that dogs cannot eat grapes, much less that they are so dangerous for them. Of course, there are dogs that may be lucky enough not to suffer so many complications, just get sick for a few days with diarrhea or vomiting and then heal. 

For others, however, it can be fatal, especially if it is not treated. So do not hesitate to react to this problem as soon as possible to solve it.

If you have any questions or comments on the content, please let us know!

FAQ on Can Chihuahuas eat grapes?

What types of grapes are toxic to dogs?

As veterinarians and other experts warn, all types of grapes and raisins are harmful to the health of dogs. Cases of poisoning have been recorded after the consumption of red, green, black, and white grapes, grapes with seed and seedless, commercial and home cultivation, organic and non-organic, with skin and peeled.

Any food that contains grapes or raisins, for example, cookies, cereals, granola, trail mix, baked goods, should be viewed as a potential poison.

Can a single grape kill a dog? 

Although the damage caused by 1 grape can vary from dog to dog, veterinarians caution that 1 grape may be enough to cause kidney failure and in some cases, death. The recommendation is clear: dogs should not eat grapes, not even one.

How many grapes can kill a dog?

When it comes to the toxicity level of grapes for dogs, the dangerous amount can be as small as a serving of 1-2 grapes. A small breed dog can be seriously poisoned by eating just 1 grape, while a larger dog can get complicated and die after eating just 3 or 4.

How fast can a dog get sick after eating grapes?

If a sensitive dog has ingested a toxic amount of grapes or raisins, it is very likely that he will begin to show the first symptoms of poisoning within 24-48 hours. The pet may present vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, and lack of appetite in the first 12-24 hours.

Should I make my dog ​​vomit if he ate grapes?

If you are sure that a dog has eaten raisins or grapes in the last 2 hours, its owner should induce vomiting as soon as possible. This will help remove the remains of the fruit before it can be fully absorbed.
If your pet is short of breath, looks stressed, or you are not sure if they actually ate grapes, making them vomit is not advisable. The best thing is to go or consult the vet.

What is the toxic dose of grape?

Unfortunately, there is no set toxic dose of grape for all dogs. The two fundamental principles to take into account are:

A dog is more likely to be poisoned if he ingests large amounts of grapes.

There is significant individual sensitivity; Some dogs seem to tolerate small doses of the fruit without consequences, but others can develop severe poisoning after eating just a few. There is no way to predict which are the most sensitive dogs.

References

Pets.webmd.com

Akc.org

Chipets.com

Hi, I am Martin, I am a pet lover! I own a Golden retriever and a Long-eared Owl. They keep me company & I often had questions about them which I couldn't find answers for online. I put this hub together for people like me & you.

Leave a Comment