In this article we will discuss betta fish and corydoras.We will also discuss their relationship and other tank parameters which are suitable for them to survive together in aquarium settings.
In this blog
- Can betta fish and corydoras live together?
- Key specifications of betta fish and corydoras
- Where are betta fish and corydoras found?
- How long do betta fish and corydoras live?
- What tank size do betta fish and corydoras need?
- Are betta fish and corydoras aggressive in nature?
- What do betta fish and corydoras eat?
- Are water parameters the same for betta fish and corydoras in aquarium conditions?
- Do betta fish and corydoras need the same aquarium plants in their tanks?
- Do betta fish and corydoras need the same light intensity in their tanks?
- Do betta fish and corydoras need similar substrates in their tank?
- Is it easy to care for betta fish and corydoras together in the same aquariums?
- Are betta fish and corydoras both perfect community fish?
- Are betta fish and corydoras beginner friendly or for experienced aquarists?
- Can betta fish and corydoras live in the same aquariums?
- Frequently asked questions
Can betta fish and corydoras live together?
Corydoras catfish and bettas are excellent aquarium companions. While bettas will stay at the top of your tank,for the most part the corydoras will stay on the bottom.
Bettas and corydoras share similar habitats, so you can be sure that your betta’s habitat will be suitable for corydoras as well, and they prefer the same water conditions for successful keeping in an aquarium.
Key specifications of betta fish and corydoras
|Key specifications||Corydoras||Betta fish|
|Siluriformes There are over 170 recognized species of corydoras,with 100 plus species yet to be given scientific names.|
|Betta splendensDragon scale bettaButterfly bettaMarble bettaKoi bettadumbo bettaDifferent tailed bettasOsphronemidae|
|Habitat||South America||Southeast Asia|
Where are betta fish and corydoras found?
Habitat of corydoras
- Native-South America
- Distribution-Corydoras are commonly found in swamps and ponds along the edges of small and large rivers.They grow naturally in slow-moving, almost stationary (but almost stagnant) streams and small rivers in South America where the water is shallow and very muddy.
- Water type-Freshwater catfish
- Water movement-Slow moving water bodies.
Habitat of betta fish
- Native-Southeast Asia/Tropical Asia
- Distribution-Northern Malay Peninsula,Thailand,Kampuchea, and southern Vietnam.
- Water type-Freshwater bodies
- Water movement-Slow moving water bodies.
How long do betta fish and corydoras live?
Cory catfish are durable and hardy and may live longer than other fish. Under the right conditions, cory catfish can live up to 5 years or more. That said, it’s not uncommon for some cory cats to die shortly after being added to the aquarium.
Betta can live up to 5 years in an ideal 2.5-gallon tank with a filter and heater, but when placed in a bowl, it can live less than half of its life expectancy, and in some cases less than a year.
What tank size do betta fish and corydoras need?
Corydoras tank size
- The minimum aquarium size is 10 gallons.
- About 4 inches long, the cory catfish can live in tanks ranging from 5 to 10 gallons.
- Large catfish require an aquarium of at least 30 gallons.
- A 10-gallon aquarium can accommodate two to four core catfish.
- A one inch catfish usually needs at least one gallon of water to live comfortably.
Betta fish tank size
- Minimum aquarium size for a single fighting fish or betta fish is 3 gallons.
- The additional aquarium size for each fully grown bettas is 1 gallons.
- The ideal aquarium size for single male or female betta is 5 gallons.
- Bettas do pretty well in bigger and spacious aquariums.
Are betta fish and corydoras aggressive in nature?
Cory catfish are not aggressive and do not pose a threat to smaller fish.Corydoras suck up food with their mouths and do not intentionally or accidentally bite other fish.
Social by nature, they are happiest when kept with at least three members of the same species.
Betta splendens are also known as siamese fighting fish because of their native species and aggressive nature.These fish are very aggressive and males often fight each other until they die.
Even female bettas can be aggressive, but usually more sociable than male bettas.
What do betta fish and corydoras eat?
Corydoras catfish and their relatives are omnivores and typically forage on the bottom of the ocean, although it is not uncommon for them to learn to surface when hungry.
Aqueon bottom feeding chips, shrimp balls, tropical pellets and algae balls are all excellent foods for these catfish.Frozen brine shrimp and red worms or bloodworms are particularly popular and delicious foods for bettas.
You can also feed your betta live food to stimulate them.You can also feed your betta filets as food. Fish filets are an inexpensive and easy-to-store food option
Are water parameters the same for betta fish and corydoras in aquarium conditions?
|Water parameters||Corydoras||Betta fish|
|Water typeTemperature Breeding temperatureWater pHWater hardness|
|Freshwater 74F-80 F70-74 degrees F7.0 and 8.03-10dKH (54ppm to 180ppm)Slow movement||Freshwater 75F-80F78F6.8-7.53 to 4 dGH and 3 to 5 dKHCalmer water|
Do betta fish and corydoras need the same aquarium plants in their tanks?
Tank plants for bettas:
- Live and overhanging plants are best for your bettas as they act as a natural oxygen purifier and can help them to conceal themselves to avoid aggressive tank mates or predators.
- Java fern is one of the most well-liked plants in the aquarium hobby because of its long,thick leaves and low maintenance care.Anubias,marimo moss ball,cryptocoryne,water sprite,betta bulb,sword plant,vallisneria.
- Indian almond leaves are recommended as they can keep their immune system strong.
Tank plants for corydoras:
Dwarf corydoras such as Corydoras pygmaeus and hastatus are very popular in aquascape tanks and small aquariums.
- Java fern
- Amazon sword
- Anubias nana
- Water sprite
- Moss balls
- Java moss
Do betta fish and corydoras need the same light intensity in their tanks?
If you’re keeping live plants (which Corys love),you’ll need an LED light and betta fish need light to be truly physically and behaviorally healthy. Remember that you provide them with a regular day and night cycle so that they have a dark period when they can rest.
Do betta fish and corydoras need similar substrates in their tank?
Corydoras cannot live without sand. In the wild, corydoras live along the bottom of sandy rivers and have evolved to feed by sieving sand through the gills. Without sand, there is nothing to sift.
To keep your corydoras happy and healthy, keep the bottom of the tank soft and natural sand. Corydoras have wispy barbels or whiskers to help them find food, so smooth sand or gravel is preferred.
The best choice will be fine sand for bettas.The two best substrates available for tanks are gravel and sand. Gravel is excellent because it makes it easier to fix plants and produce more beneficial bacteria.
Sand is good because it is easy to keep clean and less likely to hurt Betta. You can use marble or no substrate for them.
Is it easy to care for betta fish and corydoras together in the same aquariums?
Caring for a cory catfish is easy and straightforward. One of the best things is that cory catfish are easy to care for and they have calm, peaceful and non-aggressive temperament.
Some types of catfish are more shy and timid than others.Bettas need proper aquarium filtration, warm water, and a spacious aquarium to swim freely with enough hiding space to hide when overwhelmed.
They should be fed nutritious food to maintain the color of their finnage.Waste in tanks will eventually produce ammonia spikes is very dangerous for them,so it’s very important not to overfeed them.
Are they both perfect community fish?
Corydoras or Corydoras catfish, is one of the most popular community fish because of its cheerful nature, easy breeding, and useful as a cleaner.
Corydoras tank mates include most community tank fish as long as they are non-aggressive and inherently friendly.Bettas can be a good community fish but they cannot live with brightly coloured species, finnippers, aggressive fish and multiple male bettas together.
Female bettas are more sociable than male bettas.Male bettas get aggressive with one another and fight with each other to death.It is very important to have male and female bettas ratio maintained in tanks to avoid clashes.
Are they beginner friendly or for experienced aquarists?
Corydoras is a tough fish by its size and is a staple of freshwater community tanks.Care for Corydoras is easy, regardless of type. Care for corydoras is basically easy and is especially popular with beginner enthusiasts.
Bettas are good for both newcomers and experienced fishkeepers. They are very attractive, especially male bettas.These have specific water parameters and food habits to maintain their finnage colourtion.
- Both Corydoras and bettas are freshwater species.
- Both corydoras & bettas require almost the same water parameters to thrive in aquarium settings.
- Both cordoras & bettas prefer smooth sand or gravel substrate.
- Corydoras are omnivores while bettas are carnivores,and bettas can be trained to have a wide range of food using trial and error methods.
- Overfeeding should not be done at any cost to both bettas and corydoras,as it can affect their digestive system and makes them lethargic too.
- Corydoras are easy to care for, but bettas need proper maintenance,as they are very sensitive to bad water quality.
- Corydoras are great community fish,but bettas are not a great fit in community tanks,as they have aggressive genes which makes it difficult for other fish including their own types to live with them in the same tank.
- Both cordydoras and bettas can be great tank mates as they share a lot of things in common and can live together in different tank levels in the same tank,except male bettas.
- Corydoras are a great beginner friendly fish,while bettas are good for experienced aquarists.
Frequently asked questions
Do wild Corydoras need the same pH and alkalinity like captive breds?
Wild caught corydoras need a pH of 5.5 to 7.0 and alkalinity below 3° dKH or 54ppm to thrive.
Which corydoras can be kept with betta fish in the same aquarium?
Most other corydoras in catfish are much larger in size.Therefore, pygmy corydoras are very popular among betta fish keepers.