In this article we will discuss angelfish and guppies.We will also discuss their relationship and other tank parameters which are suitable for them to survive together in aquarium settings.
- Can angelfish and guppies live together?
- Key specifications of angelfish and guppies
- Where are angelfish and guppies found?
- How long do angelfish and guppies live?
- What tank size do angelfish and guppies need?
- Are angelfish and guppies aggressive in nature?
- What do angelfish and guppies eat?
- Are water parameters same for angelfish and guppies in aquarium conditions?
- Do angelfish and guppies need the same aquarium plants in their tanks?
- Do angelfish and guppies need the same light intensity in their tanks?
- Do angelfish and guppies need similar substrates in their tank?
- Is it easy to care for angelfish and guppies togethers in the same aquariums?
- Are they both perfect community fish?
- Are they beginner friendly or for experienced aquarists?
- Can angelfish and guppies live in the same aquariums?
- Frequently asked questions
Can angelfish and guppies live together?
As per some fishkeepers they can co-exist in similar tanks but their interactions should be monitored daily.
Angels are bigger in size than guppies and are big, aggressive and predatory too.Guppies are smaller in size and they can get intimidated by angels of bigger size and aggressive behavior.
They both do have similar tank preferences but due to angels size and temperament you need to think carefully before putting them together in similar tanks.
One more way to keep them together in a similar tank is by introducing angels when they are younger.This might create a bonding between them and this will also prevent aggression in the tank.
Key specifications of angelfish and Guppies
|Pterophyllum GenusFreshwater angelfishAltum angelfishLeopold’s angelfish|
|Poecilia reticulataCommon / Fancy Guppy Endler GuppySwamp GuppiesVeiltailTriangle-tailFantailScarftailDouble SwordtailPoeciliidae|
|Habitat||South America90 different species||South America300 species|
Where are angelfish and guppies found?
Angelfish are found in quiet, slow moving water,dimly lit areas, overhanging vegetation of tropical South America,specifically Amazon river system.
Guppies are tropical freshwater fish,found in the warm waters (river, lakes and ponds) of South America.They were named after the scientist (John Lechmere Guppy) who discovered them.Both angelfish and guppies come from freshwater of South America.
How long do angelfish and guppies live?
Angelfish can live up to 10 years in captivity,if they are kept in a right size aquarium,given nutritions, balanced diet meals and optimal water conditions.
Guppies can live between 2-5 years in captivity,if given the right water conditions and proper care.
If we compare the lifespan of guppies in wild habitat then it varies for different varieties of guppies.Variation in their lifespan could be due to evolutionary pressure.
What tank size do angelfish and guppies need?
Tank size for angelfish
- Angels are bigger in size and need a bigger,taller and spacious tank of 40-45 gallons to house them.
- An 80 gallon tank will keep a small school of angelfish together.
- Angels need an open swimming area and lots of hiding space in their tank.
- Taller aquariums are best for angels as they can nicely accommodate their body shape.
- Angels do well in bigger and spacious tanks.
- Minimum tank size for angels is 30 gallons
- Angels don’t do well in smaller and crowded aquariums.
Tank size for guppies
- Guppies can adjust in any tank size due to their small size.
- Minimum tank size for a trio would be 5 gallons.
- Guppies are known to reproduce rapidly,so a 10 or 20 gallons tank would be appropriate for them.
- Ideal tank size for a group of guppies would be 40 gallons.
- A 10 gallon tank is required,if you are breeding guppies.
- 5 gallons tank- 3 guppies
- 10 gallons tank-6 guppies
- 15 gallons tank-9 guppies
- 20 gallons tank-12 guppies
Are angelfish and guppies aggressive in nature?
Angelfish are normally peaceful cichlids but get aggressive towards their own kind during breeding season.
Angelfish are called opportunists by some fish keepers,as they tend to eat anything in their vicinity,which can easily fit in their mouth.They also show aggression to establish their hierarchy in aquariums.
Guppies are very peaceful aquarium community fish.They are not known for their aggressive behavior at all.They live peacefully with their own kind and other species as well.
What do angelfish and guppies eat?
Angelfish are omnivores and bottom feeders.Being an omnivore they too accept a wide range of food.
Food preference for angelfish:
- Hikari vibra bites
- Tubifex worms
- Tropical flakes
- Shrimp pellets
- Freeze dried bloodworms (most favorite)
- Fluval bug bites
- Color flakes
- Tropical granules
- Algae wafers
- Frozen mysis shrimp
- Cichlid flake and protein rich pellets
Food preference for guppies:
Guppies are omnivorous and enjoy eating varieties of food.They are not picky-eaters and can eat almost anything.Guppies are surface feeders because of their mouth shape.
- Flakes food
- Veggie pellets
- Spirulina tablets
- Freeze-dried brine shrimp,blood worms, tubifex worms, mosquito larvae
- Veggies-zucchini, spinach leaves, cauliflower, cucumber, carrots, peas, green beans, broccoli, corn, potato, cabbage and kale.
- Algae and spirulina are perfect staple foods and protein sources for guppies.
Both angelfish and guppies are omnivores and accept a wide range of food in captivity.
Are water parameters same for angelfish and guppies in aquarium conditions?
|Water typeTemperature Breeding temperatureWater pH|
Water hardnessWater movement
|Freshwater 80F (warm water)80F-82F6.8-7.8 (acidic)|
3-8 dKHSlow moving
|Tropical freshwater64-84F74F-81FBetween 6.8 to 7.5 or 8(almost neutral like tap water) will be best for them.8-12 dGHSlow moving|
Do angelfish and guppies need the same aquarium plants in their tanks?
|Tank plants for angels||Angelfish thrive well in densely planted aquariums.Anubias,Hornworts,jungle Vallisneria, Java fern,Amazon sword,Wisteria, Water sprite, dwarf tiger lotus,Ambulia.Amazon swords are very important during breeding time|
|Tank plants for guppies||Floating plants are a good choice for guppy tanks.Plants like Java moss,flame moss, christmas Moss,anacharis elodea densa,water Sprite ,water wisteria,java fern,Java fern microsorum bundle-4 Species (trident, windelov, narrow leaf, philippine) are best for guppies tank.|
Do angelfish and guppies need the same light intensity in their tanks?
Angelfish do need light in their tanks to differentiate between day and night.Abrupt light changes stress them.
Angelfish need light for at least 9 hours a day in their tank.Standard aquarium light will imitate the natural sunlight and will do the needful.
Guppies need light in their tanks.Just like humans they too have circadian rhythms to differentiate day and night for sleeping and waking up.
Standard aquarium lights and indirect sunlight is a must for guppies and the aquatic plants in their tank to photosynthesize.Warmer white lights are known to enhance colors in guppies.
Do angelfish and guppies need similar substrates in their tank?
Angelfish are bottom feeders and need a substrate which are fine to medium grade.They do well in smooth surface gravels.
Some of them have the habit of digging their substrate too so a smooth substrate is fine for angels.Smooth substrate will not damage them while digging or during feeding at the bottom.
Guppies spend most of their time in the middle and upper regions on the tank.Substrate doesn’t play a great role in guppies tanks.
But if you are keeping bottom dwellers in their tanks then choose a thin layer of gravel or sand as their substrate.Presence of substrate wont help or harm them in any way.
Is it easy to care for angelfish and guppies togethers in the same aquariums?
Angelfish do well in well maintained tanks,where pH ,temperatures ,water movement ,food and other things are taken care of properly.
Angelfish are easy to care for but may get aggressive towards other tank mates in overcrowded tanks.
Guppies are very easy to care for.They are one of the easiest freshwater fish to care for.Guppies are hardy species and are known to tolerate a wide range of water conditions.
Guppies just need a clean tank,ideal water parameters and good protein diet for their growth and survival in aquarium settings.
Are angelfish and guppies both perfect community fish?
Angelfish do well in community tanks but they might like overcrowded tanks.If you are planning to keep angelfish in a community tank then make sure that tank is spacious and bigger.
Angelfish get aggressive in small and overcrowded tanks.So it’s very important to add angelfish in a bigger and spacious community tank.
Guppies are perfect community fish and get along well with different species.But make sure they are not kept with fin-nippers,large predatory fish and aggressive fish.These tank mates can stress guppies and stress could be dangerous for them.
Are angelfish and guppies beginner friendly or for experienced aquarists?
Angelfish are good for both newcomers/experienced aquarist.They are hardy species and do well in a wide range of water parameters.
You need to keep ammonia levels in check to avoid ammonia spikes in their tanks.
Guppies are very colorful,peaceful,undemanding and hardy species. They are low maintenance aquarium fish too.
All they need is a stress free environment and good healthy diet for their survival.They are perfect aquarium fish for both beginners and experienced fishkeepers.
- Both angelfish and guppies are freshwater species and come from South America.They come from similar habitats and have more or less similar water preferences too.
- Angels need substrates while guppies don’t care about the presence of substrate in their tanks.
- Both angelfish and guppies are omnivores and accept wide varieties of food.Feeding them is not difficult.
- Both can thrive in community tanks,but guppies are more famous in community tanks because of their peaceful temperament.
- Angelfish are oviparous while guppies are livebearers.
- Both angelfish and guppies are recommended for beginners and experienced fishkeepers.
- They cannot be kept together in similar tanks due to angelfish aggressive behavior and bigger size.If you want to keep them together then introduce angelfish when they are younger.
Frequently asked questions
Can we keep guppies in tap water conditions?
Guppies can be kept in tap water, but gradually they will become weak and die due to large amounts of chlorine in tap waters.So, be careful while keeping them in tap waters.
Do angelfish eat guppy fish if kept together?
Angels are bigger in size and guppies are smaller in size,it’s quite obvious that bigger fish tend to eat smaller fish in their vicinity.So,it won’t be a surprise if guppies get gobbled up by angelfish.Due to this reason too they are not recommended to keep together by fishkeepers.